RangeRovers.net Forum banner

21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Hi Mikieman, thanks for the images, I logged on to Rave sight had to pay $29 for so called CD, but then I received and email, Manual is ready for download, but half way through download error appears and download stops, I feel I've been scammed

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Hi Mikieman, Fule pump works, found the fuel pump relay, relay is good, tested that, however I cannot figure out why the relay doesn't energize, it appears to come from the ECU. Would this suggest the ECU is faulty. Checked all fuses, all good.

·
Registered
993 Posts
I would look to the fuel filter.. it may need changing... it is in the wheel well of the right side ... the USA passenger side rear ...
Also did you spray starter fluid into the intake... and did it start????
Also When you try and start the Motor.. the fuel pump is only going to run for a few seconds... it only keeps running after it starts..

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
i've changed the fuel filter today.
Haven't yet sprayed start fluid, this is has a fuel injection system.
When I try to start the fule pump doesn't pump any fuel.
I've traced the colour of wires from pump all the way to relay. When I put power directly on to the fuel pump wires the pump turns.During ignition stage when I turn the key in the ignition the fuel pump relay doesn't operate. Need to get fuel through to the charcoal canister then to the injector system. See the image attached.

Attachments

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
223 Posts
Oh Dear,
This is friendly advice, not meaning to have a shot at you.
Read the response from JS5D 3 days ago and then read the fuel injection section in the manual in detail.
When you fully understand how the fuel delivery system works start from scratch again.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Keijo, I believe it is to do with a sensor on the itake system, like I said fuel isn't being delivered to the Charcoal canister. If I can get fuel to the canister then it will be delivered to the injector system. I don't know yet what sensor to look for. I believe it is the Pick Up point fuel injection. It becomes a little difficult when the wiring colours on the vehicle is different to the manuals.

·
Registered
993 Posts
The charcoal canister is just a breather
No fuel goes through this... and the reason to spray starter fluid into the intake is to confirm it will start...
for this to run.. it only takes fuel and fire it won’t start with out both... so
If starter fluid makes it start..
It is a fuel problem
If no start it is an ignition problem...
Like cap
Rotor
Spark modulator
Coil
Plug wires
Remember
Go slow
Don’t jump steps
You could just cause problems ...
Again
The charcoal canister is a breather
No fuel goes through it
And like in the begining
You even suggesting fuel goes through the canister make me very suspicious
It would be basic knowledge
That this isn’t fuel delivery
So you must be someone just messing with people...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Thanks Mike. I didn't know that. I traced this fuel pipe from the canister through to another filter right next to the fuel tank. I replaced this with a brand new one fitted in the correct orientation through this filter into the tank. So I assumed this was the fuel supply. There appears to be a parallel fuel pipe from the tank to the engine compartment. I haven't checked this.
I'm convinced it is fuel starvation, the engine started but when I picked it up, but know there was a fuel problem, it was like when fuel starts running out the engine runs rough if you know what I mean. There is definitely spark without a doubt, tomorrow I will get fuel starter fluid and give it a crank.

Neither of the two manuals I've got shows the fuel supply system, so frustrating.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Hi, fuel stavation is definitly the issue. Traced pipe from canister through to an inline filter to the fuel tank. However there is another parallel pipe from fuel tank to engine compartment.
See attached wiring diagram which I've finally located and believe this is the correct wiring diagam. There's a Pick up Piont for petrol ignition wiring.
I can assure there is spark, tomorrow I will try the fuel ignition fluid test, but convinced it's fuel starvation. Remember in the beginning then engine would statr but was rough like when a vehicle begins to run out of fuel. FYI this is an automatic if this makes any difference.
I've attached a wiring diagram, any suggestions?

Attachments

·
Registered
1989 Range Rover Classic
214 Posts
i've changed the fuel filter today.
Haven't yet sprayed start fluid, this is has a fuel injection system.
When I try to start the fule pump doesn't pump any fuel.
I've traced the colour of wires from pump all the way to relay. When I put power directly on to the fuel pump wires the pump turns.During ignition stage when I turn the key in the ignition the fuel pump relay doesn't operate. Need to get fuel through to the charcoal canister then to the injector system. See the image attached.
Like it has been said before the charcoal canister has NOTHING to do with fuel delivery. Nothing. Nada. Zip. Zilch. Zero. It is a breather for fuel vapors, it's part of the emissions system. Notice the caption under that diagram you're pointing to. It says "Fuel evaporative emission control system layout". Those lines going to the charcoal canister are to control vapors. No liquid fuel, just vapor. Just ignore it completely, it's got nothing to do with your no start problem.

Try Mikieman's suggestion of starting fluid. The test works for EFI systems too (also auto vs manual is irrelevant). You got air and starter fluid and spark, it go boom, which = fuel problem. If it no go boom, you have a spark problem.

We are only trying to help, giving the best advice we can. Many if us have owned these trucks for years and we have seen this problem and dozens like it before. Please heed the advice on this thread, no one is trying to steer you in the wrong direction.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Hi Lance, Many thanks, going to get starter fluid this morning and give it a go.
Question, do I need to remove the air filter and how would I get the fluid into the injector system? I can do carburates' no problem, but when it comes to injector systems I'm a little stumped.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Hi Lance, Attached is the Haynes manual 1972- 1992, unfortunately it doesn't cover the injector system only the carburater, any suggestions?

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Hi Guys,
So here goes.
1. Spark on all HT leads.
2. Fuel pumping
3. Press the air flow flap the fuel pump also operates
4. Disconnected fule inlet pipe, cranked motor, fuel pumped out of the fuel line.
5. Engine will not fire!!!!
6. Sprayed starter fluid into and past the air flow meter flap, engine still won't fire up.

Any other suggestions please? The manuals I have do not cover this system so a bit stumped now.

See attached photos

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
It must be something very simple cause this engine fired up when I went to collect it. Put it on a vehicle trailer, brought it home, tried to start it and bugger me it would not fire up.
I can't imaging all 8 spark plugs would give up the ghost all at once. What about injectors, just querying?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Fuel injection is covered in that manual, try looking at pages 13.24 onwards in the supplement revisions for later models image.jpg
if it was me I would be replacing the plugs if you have a spark at each HT lead, PUT a new set in!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Hi cortinamk2, ok I'll change oll the plugs but cannot believe all 8 will fail at once.

21 - 40 of 74 Posts