RangeRovers.net Forum banner

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
After you've turned it over a bit, are the plugs wet? Mine can get soaked in a relatively short amount of time. Also, it's not just having a spark, but having a really strong spark. Mine does not tolerate any weakness in the ignition system and if something is even slightly deteriorating, it's a devil to start, if at all.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Hi JJKM, that could bee a valid point cause I noticed some spark really strong others appeared week. I haven't removed a plug yet to see if it is wet. Tomorrows Job.

·
Registered
127 Posts
If they are wet, you know you've got fuel (but doesn't wholly rule out issues). Then, start diagnosing the ignition system. If the plugs are really wet, you'll need to let them dry out - leave them out of the cylinders for a few hours but don't mix your leads up. If you have got fuel, disable the pump whilst you diagnose the ignition system so that you're not filling the cylinders with more fuel.

·
Registered
456 Posts
As above, pull the fuel pump fuse then crank it with throttle wide open (flat to floor) to see if it will fire then.

If it does, it won't run as no fuel supply, but it'll have cleared the intake and cylinders of excess fuel.

Then replace fuse to pump, and try it without opening the throttle at all.

This is how you get them out of fuel flooded condition, yes they can flood under certain circumstances.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
RRLondon, thanks for your input. I'm convinced it's something as simple as that. Will keep you al posted

·
Registered
82 Posts
I found when mine would not start it was the plugs even tho they were fairly new, I think if the eng floods this new petrol attacks the plugs somehow, have you taken any out to see if they are wet, I have also cooked them in the oven for 10 mins as well to dry them out when wet Not sure the missus appreciated it tho!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Hi Cortinmk2, no I haven't removed any of the plugs yet, this will be my todays job. It has to be something as simple as this. I think it might even be a good idea to replace the HT leads.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 1993 RRC and the rotor arm had partially grounded itself. Swapped the rotor arm and it fired right up. Spark was good to distributor and weak at the plug wires. Doesn't sounds exactly like your symptoms, but thought I'd toss it in there as an easy one to try (I changed coil, ecu, etc before figuring it out!)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
To all of you, thanks for all your valid input.
1. Bought new spark plugs.
2. Bought new HT leads.
3. Testes compression, slight differences 8.5kg/cmsq to 10kg/cmsq. Couple 10, some 9.5, some 9, one 8.5, this one may have been cause I struggled to get the compression tester screwed in properly.
4. Turned the ignition and whala, we have action, my only concern is, there is black smoke. Is this too rich or other. The old spark plugs were very carboned up and as one of you mentioned seemed a bit damp. I think I took a picture and concerned I'll end up in the same situation. See image.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Is there any Australian second hand part dealers on this forum?
Alternatively, international members. I would be interested if you have 4 doors (white) and how much to freight to Australia. Doors with external square opening levellers. My current ones are truly rested. My other option is to take to body repair shop and get a quote and compare to other second hand doors.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Well at least you're up and running.

As you suspect, it's running rich with black smoke, and those old plugs agree with their colour. Should be ultimately light milk chocolate brown on plugs to show correct mixture.

I'd first look at/ change air filter to make sure it's not compromised as that affects mixture. That's the one the engine air enters through, not the charcoal filter.
Let us know what you find here to get further comments.

If the air filter is verified as ok, next would be engine temperature report to ecu as a fault with that and the ecu just assumes the engine is cold, then keeps the mixture rich for cold running.

One step at a time though, verify air filter and see what you've got.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Probably better to start a new thread for parts (doors) wanted as it'll be mostly invisible here without it's own thread heading.

·
Registered
127 Posts
It needs a really good run, up to temperature and a bit of a gentle thrashing. Then reassess its running. Being stood and then goodness knows how much fuel pumped into it, coupled with old oil - it needs to breath a bit! If the black smoke persists, start diagnosing.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Well at least you're up and running.

As you suspect, it's running rich with black smoke, and those old plugs agree with their colour. Should be ultimately light milk chocolate brown on plugs to show correct mixture.

I'd first look at/ change air filter to make sure it's not compromised as that affects mixture. That's the one the engine air enters through, not the charcoal filter.
Let us know what you find here to get further comments.

If the air filter is verified as ok, next would be engine temperature report to ecu as a fault with that and the ecu just assumes the engine is cold, then keeps the mixture rich for cold running.

One step at a time though, verify air filter and see what you've got.
Hi RRLondon, will check it out, If I'm correct, this vehicle has been standing for 5hrs with the previous owner. On the mechanical service list, it says Serviced Air Filter, be we all know this could be anything from just looking or a simple blow out. But I will report my finding. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Oh dear. And you plan to restore this car?
LOL!

And yes, Mikieman is awesome, do listen to his every word.

However...

I have had serious issues with my charcoal canister. I would revisit this issue as being the main cause of your problems. You may have placed a band-aid but the likely root cause is almost always the charcoal canister, through which the fuel gains its carbon load in order to fire. These are available cheap, just google one and replace it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Air filter appears clean, got my blower out as I don't have a compressor, no dust or debris. Tapped it slightly on the wall, no dirt fell out. See images65
yyuuuuuuuuuuuu cvcbnm m,
LOL!

However...

I have had serious issues with my charcoal canister. I would revisit this issue as being the main cause of your problems. You may have placed a band-aid but the likely root cause is almost always the charcoal canister, through which the fuel gains its carbon load in order to fire. These are available cheap, just google one and replace it.
Hi 88POS, Thanks, will search online or go to local Auto sales. Checked the air filter and this is clean. in 2015 the vehicle has a once over and the filter was checked, since then the vehicle has been standing for 5yrs.

Attachments

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
223 Posts
LOL!

However...

LOL!

However...

JS5D and Mikieman are Ok and are awesome, but no "howevers" however
They speak simple truths.
The fuel does not gain a carbon load through the charcoal canister.
The fuel does not pass through the canister on it's way to the rail and injectors.

·
Registered
82 Posts
2nd that JJKM give it an Italian tune up (bit of a thrash) to clear out all the excess fuel you have pumped in there then clean and re check your plugs start from there, just a thought is your cold start injector leaking or operating? Simple test just unplug the electrical connector from it See if it improves it!!
and in my opinion bin the old plugs don’t use them again...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Hi Cortinamk2, the plugs and HT leads are now bran new. One good sigh which I hope others will support me on, good condensation coming from the exhaust. I can assure you there's no cross contamination between oil and coolant

41 - 60 of 74 Posts