RangeRovers.net Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
There is the option of unplugging the valves to leave them open all the time. Has anyone done that or is considering doing that? It looks like it would be a little tricky to physically reach them but not impossible. Here is a video of mine (2018 SVR) revving in the current stock configuration: https://instagram.com/p/BgICNgJnLwQ/

If I end up unplugging them I will post another one in that configuration.

·
Registered
275 Posts
−This variable exhaust valve optimises the behaviour to give a more progressive sound character utilising the full range of valve positions available through PWM control.
−This is an improvement over 17MY SVR which has a simple “on-off” function for the active exhaust system there are also unique calibrations for General, Dynamic, and Active Exhaust modes in the vehicle"
I saw that before and this does make sense. I still wished they did make the exhaust ‘analogue’ vs ‘digital’
I agreed with what most most are saying that most people purchased the SVR exhaust and want to have it going 110% all the time.
I don’t know if the valves are closed while in park?
Here’s the video I have of it in park with active exhaust on.
Sorry for the horrible video, I didn’t have someone to help me take it.
https://youtu.be/xtjRied9Pdg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
76 Posts
I saw that before and this does make sense. I still wished they did make the exhaust ‘analogue’ vs ‘digital’
I agreed with what most most are saying that most people purchased the SVR exhaust and want to have it going 110% all the time.
I don’t know if the valves are closed while in park?
Here’s the video I have of it in park with active exhaust on.
Sorry for the horrible video, I didn’t have someone to help me take it.
https://youtu.be/xtjRied9Pdg

Thanks for posting the video! Still sounds pretty aggressive and loud enough for me. I might be in the minority but I'm not concerned about making a ton of noise at idle or low speeds in general to get more people to look at me. I want to hear it when accelerating hard which I know it will satisfy.

When walking down our main street shopping area there are always a few guys driving down with a mustang or corvette and super loud after market exhausts revving the heck out of them. And while a few people might be impressed the majority are like "what an annoying d*ckhead". Yes, the sweet sound of the SVR is no comparison but the average person is not into cars this way and doesn't know the difference.

Since it is all electronically controlled, LR could have added a "flaps open all the time" setting I guess for those that want it but chose not to. As I said I'm fine with this. I currently drive my P380 Velar in Dynamic and Sport all the time and will do the same in my SVR and I'll be extremely happy with it. Everything about it!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Since it is all electronically controlled, LR could have added a "flaps open all the time" setting I guess for those that want it but chose not to. As I said I'm fine with this. I currently drive my P380 Velar in Dynamic and Sport all the time and will do the same in my SVR and I'll be extremely happy with it. Everything about it!
I get what you mean eh?
It can be a bit much especially in town.

I think you bring up a key point that I was just thinking about. The good news is the changes (as small they are) are software based so (while unlikely) its entirely possible they could introduce an update with different modes.
Hopefully, they see these posts and they do! 🤞

·
Registered
5 Posts
I get what you mean eh?
It can be a bit much especially in town.

I think you bring up a key point that I was just thinking about. The good news is the changes (as small they are) are software based so (while unlikely) its entirely possible they could introduce an update with different modes.
Hopefully, they see these posts and they do! ?

In case anyone is wondering here is what it sounds like with the valves unplugged to keep them open the entire time: https://youtu.be/kp_sJul586s

It is drastically louder than before with the valves still plugged in.

·
Registered
76 Posts
This new video gives some good sound of the exhaust and car.

On another note, doesn’t this seem totally terrifying?! Lol

https://youtu.be/DiK0oOahsbY

Yeah pretty sure I'd sail an SVR over one of the cliffs.

Looks like quite a bit of steering wheel play or maybe it's just his driving style. I mean on the straight sections, lots of unnecessary left to right motion. But I'm no race car driver -- maybe there is some kind of benefit?

·
Registered
99 Posts
After putting more miles on my 2018 SVR and playing with the drive and exhaust settings, I think that selecting dynamic driving mode with active exhaust on is where you get the most colorful exhaust sounds. The vehicle is most aggressive in this mode and the sound is commensurate with the ride and engine handling.

In other modes, it seems like the exhaust noticeably changes around 2,500 RPM and has a bit less crackle and pop. This makes sense given an earlier post on how the 2018 exhaust design is progressive versus simply on or off when active. You can hear the tone of the exhaust change subtly and eventually cut over to full open as the engine revs higher. The older SVRs didn’t have this sound characteristic - it was more linear in terms of the tone of the exhaust responded.

Personally, I liked the 2016 SVR on/off behavior more, but I’m sure there are those out there that like to hear the louder exhaust only when the engine is cycling faster. To each his own...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Received my 2018. I'd say the exhaust is a huge downgrade if you like it loud. The crackles and pops are much much less and the overall authority of sound is much reduced. Might ask the dealer about unplugging the valves. I wonder if it would throw an error code or something.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Received my 2018. I'd say the exhaust is a huge downgrade if you like it loud. The crackles and pops are much much less and the overall authority of sound is much reduced. Might ask the dealer about unplugging the valves. I wonder if it would throw an error code or something.
Did you unplug the valves??

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
About this Discussion
30 Replies
10 Participants
Tesh
RangeRovers.net Forum
We’re a community forum to discuss and assist on issues with every Range Rover model. Sign up if you have a question, answer or to meet like minded individuals
Full Forum Listing