RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone who has picked up their SVR post their thoughts on the new active exhaust? I assume there is no button on the console that you push to activate as in previous years? Does it auto adjust based on the driving mode, getting more aggressive in sport and dynamic modes? Is it more tame than previous years?

·
Registered
40 Posts
there is still a button. it is now just located in the bottom screen. it is more tame then my f type. unless sound deadening is that much better

·
Registered
275 Posts
The button is in the drive select screen.

I feel it’s much tamer too (not in a good way) vs the 2017 SVR I was in. Mind you, I’ve only had 10kms on my car so far.

JFerraro, does your comment go across the whole board? Normal vs dynamic vs dynamic with active exhaust? Etc?

I actually kinda thought it was a bit more aggressive with the active exhaust off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
Speaking solely from normal+active vs the Jag. I didnt really feel like dynamic was a huge jump in sound from just putting the exhaust on.

I will never drive this car with the exhaust off. Much like i never turned it off on the Jag

·
Registered
275 Posts
Sadly, I agree
Hope it is the sound proofing has gotten better? I did have the windows open for some of the drive.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm thinking it has to do with sound proofing. It was raining on the drive home so i had the windows closed. It is overall A LOT better at noise cancellation than the Jag was

·
Registered
99 Posts
Can anyone who has picked up their SVR post their thoughts on the new active exhaust? I assume there is no button on the console that you push to activate as in previous years? Does it auto adjust based on the driving mode, getting more aggressive in sport and dynamic modes? Is it more tame than previous years?
Exhaust is muted as compared to my 2016 SVR, soundproofing aside. I had mentioned this in another post last week. I ran both vehicle engines in dynamic mode side by side to prove this to the dealer before I completed my trade, although we were stationary in the parking lot. Even when giving the 2018 gas pedal a push, it didn’t have the same SVR growl that I am accustomed to.

The only time it felt comparable to my older SVR is at higher speeds or when you are driving in sport mode. I figured that maybe I didn’t have the settings right, but it seems that I’m not the only one that noticed this sound difference.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the feedback. I’ve only driven a buddy’s 17 SVR and I personally found it almost too loud, like NASCAR loud, at times. I prefer a more refined growl so I’m sure I will like the 18.

Also can you guys notice the power bump at all from previous models to the 18? I would think 25 bhp increase can be felt.

·
Registered
275 Posts
So MikeNice3000, in dynamic, sport mode (S vs D on transmission) it sounds comparable to the last generation SVR? Even at lower speeds?

Sorry if it sounds like I beating a dead horse lol.

I just remember thinking the 2017 sounded a lot like a V8 F-Type? Or was I just sorta thinking that and the reality was the 2017 was just really loud, but not close to an F-Type?

·
Registered
275 Posts
So MikeNice3000, in dynamic, sport mode (S vs D on transmission) it sounds comparable to the last generation SVR? Even at lower speeds?

I just remember thinking the 2017 sounded a lot like a V8 F-Type? Or was I just sorta thinking that and the reality was the 2017 was just really loud, but not close to an F-Type?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I’ve only driven a buddy’s 17 SVR and I personally found it almost too loud, like NASCAR loud, at times. I prefer a more refined growl so I’m sure I will like the 18.

Also can you guys notice the power bump at all from previous models to the 18? I would think 25 bhp increase can be felt.
Yes, you probably would prefer the 2018 dynamic exhaust, and my wife would agree with you - she hated the 2016 exhaust sound and felt like she was in a race car when she rode in it. She would also say I can hear your SUV from down the street and know when I am coming home. I drove it almost exclusively in dynamic mode and loved it. People walking down the street would always stop and look, and often were surprised all that power was coming from an SUV.

The horsepower bump is slightly noticeable on fast accelerations - the 2016 was pretty feisty veichle at 550 hp and I had no complaints with its speed, but will take the extra horses in 2018.

·
Registered
99 Posts

The 2018 dynamic exhaust sounds comparable to the 2016 mainly at higher speeds AND in Sport mode, based on my limited driving to-date. I don’t have a reference on the F-type exhaust to make that comparison. The 2016 had more growl and fuel pops at all speeds once engaged.

I’ve only put 40 miles on it before taking it in for a dual screen repair, so I will get back to you once that is completed and I run it in a few different modes and speeds.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Overall do you think it was a worthwhile upgrade from 16 to 18?
Absolutely! The interior design and electronics (when they work) and some of the exterior enhancements put the 2018 in a whole different competitive space versus the 2016. However, the extra horsepower is very incremental.

I knew when I bought my 2016 that I wanted a 2018 or 2019. After I drove the 2018 and saw the tech in the car, it felt like my less-than-two-year-old SVR was obsolete `)

·
Registered
151 Posts
As a previous owner of a 2015 SVR, knowing that the new exhaust is muted compared to the 15, 16, 17 would absolutely keep me from trading. The previous SVR sounded better than almost any other factory or aftermarket exhaust I've ever heard. I wonder if you can still barely tap the gas when engine braking to get it you crackle like popcorn in the 18 like I could on my 15.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I’ve got the opportunity to drive it more.
Dynamic mode with active exhaust and sport does make the car crackle more. Problem is... it’s really really fast. Lol. Like lose your license fast.

I’ve been trying Normal with active exhaust on and the results are quite good from what I see. I’ll post a quick video once it’s uploaded to YouTube.

Still lots of good crackle and pop. I don’t feel like it’s the same as past years. (Keep in mind. This is based purely on feeling, nothing else lol)

Regardless, I’m feeling better about the sound!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just picked up my 2018 RRS SVR today. What I noticed is that even with the active exhaust on the valves still remain closed until the car is put in drive. Any comparison made during the usual startup and stationary revving will be with the valves closed.

I previously had a 2014 RRS SC and installed bypass valves before the rear mufflers to increase the volume which meant no rear mufflers at all with it open. The volume with the valves open in that setup is comparable to my new SVR.

Since this is my first SVR I can't speak to whether the model years prior to 2018 would open the valves even in park but if they did then I suspect this is why the 2018 seems quieter. The only difference I notice between the 2018 SVR with the valves open while driving and my 2014 with the aftermarket valves open is the SVR pops on runoff which sounds awesome to me.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Picked mine up today. It’s more than loud to me. Sounds amazingly. My wife was not as impressed and asked that I stop revving in the driveway. Oops.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Someone on a UK forum posted the following a while back. He also got an email from SVO saying the MY18 exhaust is exactly the same. This quote was from a product brief when they launched it:

"Unique lightweight exhaust system through silencer optimizations and revised centre brace with exhaust mounted tailpipe finishers
Enhanced powertrain exhaust sound quality with Active Exhaust Control utilises a pulse width modulation signal to control exhaust valves.
−This variable exhaust valve optimises the behaviour to give a more progressive sound character utilising the full range of valve positions available through PWM control.
−This is an improvement over 17MY SVR which has a simple “on-off” function for the active exhaust system there are also unique calibrations for General, Dynamic, and Active Exhaust modes in the vehicle"

So these "unique calibrations" for the different modes are probably the differences people are hearing. Revving it in Park is probably not the same as it was before. But what is important, actually driving it fast, is the same or better. It's not often that a car company makes a change that makes the car inferior to how it was before so I sort of have faith in what SVO have done here. I won't get my SVR until May.

·
Registered
99 Posts
This explanation makes sense to me and confirms my earlier posts where I said that the 2018 active exhaust is more noticeable at higher speeds and in Sport mode, versus the 2016 which is noticeably active even when idling. That said, I still like the sound and behavior of the older SVR active exhaust better.

I think JLR made the 2018 a bit too tame in idle and lower speeds. Maybe they received consumer feedback similar to other posts that the prior SVRs sounded too aggressive. You always have the option of keeping it in quiet mode. My question would be then why would someone purchase an SVR instead of an ATB or Dynamic if you don’t like the high performance exhaust sound.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
About this Discussion
30 Replies
10 Participants
Tesh
RangeRovers.net Forum
We’re a community forum to discuss and assist on issues with every Range Rover model. Sign up if you have a question, answer or to meet like minded individuals
Full Forum Listing