Range Rovers Forum banner

Zinc replacement - Do yo guys use them?

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  TheoR 
#1 ·
I read somewhere that P38A engine works better if zinc replacement is added to the engine oil.

So, I was wondering how many of you guys use them. And, if you do use them, are there any noticeable mpg difference?

Thanks.

#4 ·
Povides conventional motor oils with antiwear additives like zinc and phosphorus (ZDDP) necessary to protect against camshaft and valvetrain damage on break-in
unless you've rebuilt your engine, sounds like they're not needed

extra package of protection otherwise not found in most motor oils
don't use cheap oil.

I've been running amzoil for a while, no issues. (except leaks...)

#5 ·
Go for a good quality diesel oil, Shell Rimula has Zinc which aids in camshaft to lifter lube, lifters are known as flat face and
this is where the trouble starts, synthetics are good but its still oil and all thats different is the way its produced along with some additives

#6 ·
The argument for use of zinc additive that I've heard is that older engine designs required zinc, but modern engine design are designed for use w/o zinc. Therefore, almost all engine oil in use today do not have zinc in the ingredient.

Having zinc apparently makes the biggest difference in the longevity of camshafts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.