RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read somewhere that P38A engine works better if zinc replacement is added to the engine oil.

So, I was wondering how many of you guys use them. And, if you do use them, are there any noticeable mpg difference?

Thanks.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
Povides conventional motor oils with antiwear additives like zinc and phosphorus (ZDDP) necessary to protect against camshaft and valvetrain damage on break-in
unless you've rebuilt your engine, sounds like they're not needed

extra package of protection otherwise not found in most motor oils
don't use cheap oil.

I've been running amzoil for a while, no issues. (except leaks...)

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
Go for a good quality diesel oil, Shell Rimula has Zinc which aids in camshaft to lifter lube, lifters are known as flat face and
this is where the trouble starts, synthetics are good but its still oil and all thats different is the way its produced along with some additives

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The argument for use of zinc additive that I've heard is that older engine designs required zinc, but modern engine design are designed for use w/o zinc. Therefore, almost all engine oil in use today do not have zinc in the ingredient.

Having zinc apparently makes the biggest difference in the longevity of camshafts.

·
Registered
97 Posts
use shell rotellat or rotella syntetic as the shear rating is high enough for a flat tappet engine like a rover.

I run rotella synthetic 5/40 and have 172k on my d2, original motor and cam ect....

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info. Never heard of Rotella series before, but after looking up the info I'm interested in trying out the Rotella T series.

Looks like it's not an easy find, but I'm sure I'll find them somewhere.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts