RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched extensively online for a cause/solution to the gearbox issue I'm experiencing in my 2008 3.6TDV8 L322 but no joy so hopefully someone here can offer some pointers.

On first startup putting the car into drive there is no drive. If the revs are raised gradually then sometimes when it hits 2,000 rpm there is a thud and drive engages. If the transmission is put from drive or park into reverse then the error message appear transmission fault - limited gears available.

I have found solutions to get around the issue. If the fault message appears then switching off and restarting clears the message and putting the car into drive or reverse and all works as it should. The second way to get around the issue is to cycle the shift between park and drive and on the second or third drive engagement then the car will move forward as normal. Outside of this first startup issue though the box works fine with smooth changes up and down.

So wondering what is likely to be the issue, low oil level, solenoids any ideas. Former owner said the gearbox had recently been serviced with an oil and filter change. The car has covered 140k miles so right in the its not unusual to have gearbox issue territory mileage.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,710 Posts
If low fluid is suspected, why have you not checked the level to eliminate that possibility?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, this thread didn't attract much activity with suggested problems so I continued my trawling the depth of internet knowledge and hearsay and there is something I'm working on at the moment.

First up had he car up on a lift this weekend to do a new disc and pad change around the car and the ZF oil condition and level checked out to be good. One comment i found interesting from all the trawling is you can change into gear too quickly for the ecu to have set itself up on startup which will cause a comms issue on the gearbox. My matey mechanic cleared all the old codes when I first bought the car and there was a comms error on the gearbox. I'll go back to him to get the specific code number as the code will be freshly back into storage since the clear down. Anyway, I have noticed that when you first start up the Land Rover splash screen is there for a good few second before it'll move onto whatever screen you had it on before switching off the car. But, when I restart the car it tends to go onto menu straight away. So, I've been waiting for the menu screen to appear before selecting any forward or reverse gear and although its early days the last two start ups and drive offs have been without incident or issue.

Maybe it is a slow ecu boot up first thing and only a partial boot is required once the car has run recently, time will tell. If I remember I'll post a longer term update in a month or two.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts