RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello gents,

I have a 2006 RRSC with 120k miles on it. I changed the pan/oil a year or so ago just because I had a leak from the drain and figured it was a good time to change the pan/oil. Did that and had some slipping under moderate to hard acceleration (which never happened before). I figured maybe the fluid level wasn't perfect and tried to get that adjusted which I finally did (albeit months later as I don't drive the Rover much)... fast forward to this past weekend where I'm getting a "Transmission Fault" which coded as P0740 Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Open which I got using the RSW code reader software. When cleared, the code immediately comes back on.
Is this a Valve Body Issue with a Solenoid or maybe a Torque Converter Issue (as it was slipping occasionally after the oil/pan change)? Where do I start other than a visit to the dealer or tranny guy?

Much appreciated,

Bill

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply RRPhil. Much appreciated.
I'll see what I get hopefully the scanning tool I have will give some data.
One thing to note is when I clear the fault, it immediately comes back on when the rover is in park.
If it was a mechanical (solenoid) issue wouldn't the fault come on when the Rover was in use, not immediately when cleared (as in an electronic issue)?
Your thoughts are much appreciated.
Bill

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Finally, I have some time to get this handled. The RR has just been garaged. RRPhil, if rebuilding the Valve body, would a solenoid set, bridge gasket, and seal sleeve kit suffice or should I also order a zip kit and separator plate and do the whole package. I have no way to test the unit once done.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, just a recap: Transmission slipping under load or after 20 minutes of driving not even under much load it would slip and **** horrible. P0740 (Torque converter circuit open) code and I believe P0730.

Watched a Youtube video (BMW mechanic) that said if the Fault is popping up right when you turn on the ignition even before the car is started, it's most likely the Bridge gasket or Solenoids.. this is what mine was doing.

I removed the Valve body, replaced the Bridge Gasket (the small portion came out in two pieces) and 4 gasket sleeves, new solenoids. 7 quarts of LG6 (reused the pan as I have only 2-3k miles on it). No Zip kit installed.

All check engine lights are off and I'm not getting any fault codes at this time. Not slipping at all even under heavy load (uphill and on the gas hard). I only have to reset the adaptions. Shifting is a little ruff which is expected because I have not re-set transmission adaptions but I'm not sure if I should or not. RRPhil, with 2 transmission oil changes and the new solenoids in the last 2k miles, is re-set adaptions a must or will it adapt on its own after a month or so? Any downside to re-setting adaptions after replacing the solenoids and fluid.
I hope this helps a few of your guys. I was told by a local RR indy shop I needed a new tranny. RR dealer would have said the same. A transmission guy I've used on a few cars said he'd start with the Valve Body and go from there at $2,800 to RR the Valve body with a new one.
Total cost for me was just over $500 and would have been $600 if I replaced the pan.
Happy to have the Rover back up and running.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts