Registered
2010 Range Rover HSE LUX 5.0, 2008 L322 4.2 SC, 2000 & 1998 P38 HSE
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Greetings all!

2008 Range Rover L322 SC
4.2L supercharged w/ approx 6500 miles
ZF 6HP26 (original) 195k miles
Third owner, limited service history on hand.

Initial symptoms:
Hard shift w/clunk 1-2, 2-3, P-R
Performance aside from these issues smooth and strong.

After persistence of these symptoms on a 1400 road trip I felt it urgent to check the fluid status of the "sealed for life" transmission while traveling. Found a small town shop owner willing to lift and assist under my direction. Followed fluid fill instructions found here/elsewhere using best available product (located in thus town of about 5000) a Valvoline (vaguely compatible) product thinking so.ething better than dangerously low.
The ZF took on nearly 2 quarts and immediately showed signs of improvement. Resumed travel to destination a further 600 miles mostly mountain pass. Driving as gently as possible I reached my destination with the hard shifting still present but greatly reduced.

Knowing it was imperative to drain the blended possibly non-compatible fluids I went about a flush and fill..

Side note: this 2008 being my 5th RR, I've experience with a myriad of mechanical failures and self taught mainly thru the knowledge and info shared here on this site which facilitated the repairs. However I have zero transmission experience beyond routine dipstick maintenance with past P38's.

Parts with express shipping ability were ordered however fluid options were limited in yet another small town. No ZF LG or Mercon SP to be had so the following steps ensued following flush and fill (fill fluid choice after tedious comparisons of available fluids).

1. DRAINED existing fluid blended of unknown type or brand. It was black and thick. (Almost a chocolate syrup consistency).
2. Removed 21 bolts from what appeared to be the original pan with integrated filter. Some of these were surprisingly easy outs, which may be partial explanation for low fluid level.
3. Dropped the pan and closely examined magnets and drained fluid for any solids, shavings, or particles of any kind. Nothing. Nothing at all on or around the magnets and the fluid was smooth and completely free of detectable grit.
4. Pulled the multi-plug, slid down the white locking tab, and removed the sleeve. Not certain sleeve was ZF but it and fill plug were expressed from AUTOHAUSAZ my longstanding and trusted source for many parts (mostly MBenz but a few Rover).
The sleeve was much more difficult to replace as my view and reach were limited.
5. Allowed trans to drain with pan off over night. (Night temp about 45°F, undercover)
6. Replaced pan following ZF instructions and filled to spill, cold w/engine off. Took about 2 quarts of my "flush fluid"*** (Castrol transmax high mileage).
7. Started engine and filled another 3 quarts. (Did not run thru gears prior to this step).
8. Once up to temp I ran thru gears, drove about 1 mile at slow speeds with initial hesitancy 1-2 but after a stop and restart did shift. Returned to garage did not resume service until next morning..
9. No start.
10. Disconnected battery which I did not do during sleeve r/r and inspected connection cleaned female side with spray OD contact cleaner and left hanging to dry.
11. Drained flush fluid and refilled with same, another 5 1/2 quarts.
12. Vehicle started following these actions not knowing which step corrected. Circulated flush fluid again by going thru gears then a short low speed drive. No shift from 1-2 up to 35 mph and 2500rpm
13. Drained flush fluid and filled with best available fluid PENTOSIN 6. Took 5 qts following ZF fill procedure. Test drive again, no shift 1-2.
14. Drained flush/fill mixture at operating temp. Filled to spill with PENTOSIN 6, replaced fill plug and allowed to cool. Drained fluid.
15. Filled to spill 5qts at 55° ambient temp.
16. Proceeded to bring box up to temp, fill plug out, shift and held P,R,N,D 3 secs each.
17. Filled to spill at 86°F. Another quart+, and replaced plug.
18. Test drive after first going thru gears with foot on brake multiple times.. Proceeded on 3 mile test drive stillno shift out of first despite a variety speeds and start cycles..

Any help, comments, questions, or sound advice (RRPHIL hear our prayer) requested and welcome.

Thanks much!

ATT: MOD
The posts re: the ZF boxes are many, many, many. I searched for posts on this particular situation but found no exact matches. With that I hesitantly post a new thread at some
peril of a forum foul. My apologies in advance if so.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,436 Posts
Have you disturbed anything which relates to the brake switch or lights? The transmission won’t shift out of 1st gear if it sees a brake signal input. Maybe the 16-pin connector isn’t in place correctly after you replaced the sleeve?

Phil

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Morning Phil!

The brake lights are functioning as normal however I am getting lighting related faults off the scanner. Also getting HDC FAULT, TRANSMISSION FAULT, & MAX SPEED 10 MPH on the message center.

With exception of the no shift situation all systems are functioning despite the DTCs and dash messages.

After looking at your pic of the sleeve measurements I'm certain my install is flawed and sleeve is not inserted fully by about 1.5 mm.

Also have no shifter/gear position illuminated on the dash message center. The indicator is lit up at the shifter.

While we're at it, any feedback on the PENTOSIN 6?

Thanks very much for your time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Another note:

No crank this a.m. Nothing. Full dash and indicators and charged battery. Must be an inhibitor somewhere in the chain.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,436 Posts
I don’t know if the Pentosin fluid has exactly the same friction modifier pack as ZF Lifeguard Fluid 6 (none of us do) but what I would say is that Pentosin actually manufactured the 5-speed fluid (ZF Lifeguard Fluid 5) for ZF and their ATF1 fluid was also formally approved by ZF for the 5HP24.

The inhibitor (position), switch, which is part of the Mechatronic unit, also communicates with the vehicle systems via the 16-pin connector.

Phil

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,427 Posts
It should be noted that the lights on the shifter bezel are lit based soley on the position of the shifter lever. The dash gear indicator lights are driven by what what gear the TCM says the transmission is in. If you don't have a dash indication at all it is either electrical at the 16 pin connector, the TCM is failed in some way, or your shift linkage was not properly realigned with the shift rod in the transmission. Since you have driven it since the last time the pan was off I would say the last two causes are not likely leaving only a bad connector issue as the most likely.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was able to correct the sleeve position, or so I believe, without removing the pan. It was just slightly skewed and after pushing on the high side it seemed to slip in flush. I reconnected the neg cable on the battery and it started right up. Initially no shift position indicator on dash but after pulling the lever back firmly the D appeared and others followed. Shifted thru all gears (I did not attempt to kick in t secondaries during test drive).

I did get the following faults:

HDC FAULT-SYSTEM NOT AVAILABLE

TERRAIN RESPONSE SYSTEM NOT AVAILABLE
(on NAV screen)

LIMIT 10 MPH

BRAKE illuminated solid yellow

Turned the ignition off after about 15 minute test drive and restarted it 3 times without fail and left it parked for 3 hours while I mowed the lawn.

Went back to take on a bit longer test run but this time no go.

No crank no start and shift position indicator gone from dash.

Now with additional FAULT message,

PARKING BRAKE FAULT
ENGINE symbol illuminated solid yellow

Side note:
Found the data sheet on PENTOSIN 6, which according to PENTOSIN was formulated/manufactured for ZF.

What direction from here is the question...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It should be noted that the lights on the shifter bezel are lit based soley on the position of the shifter lever. The dash gear indicator lights are driven by what what gear the TCM says the transmission is in. If you don't have a dash indication at all it is either electrical at the 16 pin connector, the TCM is failed in some way, or your shift linkage was not properly realigned with the shift rod in the transmission. Since you have driven it since the last time the pan was off I would say the last two causes are not likely leaving only a bad connector issue as the most likely.
Thanks Mark,
Looks like I will be dropping the pan again, I must have been dreaming to think a quick simple adjustment would get me on the road.
I will post update details as they come.

·
Registered
L322 - 2005, 2006 na, 2012 sc
418 Posts
Pentosin needs to go. Either LifeGuard 6 or Mercon SP. Don't use the plastic drain plug on the pan/filter to drain fluid. My experience is that it will not seal properly on reinstallation, even after buying a new drain plug which means replacing with a new pan.

When you remove the plug again, check to see if any pins are pushed in. As a result of putting the connector in askew, you may have pushed a pin in.

Automotive tire Wheel Line Rim Font

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,427 Posts
I think I would try to just reseat the external connector first before opening up the transmission. Hit the pins and socket with some contact cleaner spray and reinstall the outside connector and retest.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts