RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

Due to some drivetrain vibrations with my 2003 RR L322 4.4 I decided to rebuild the transmission.
The TC was rebuilt and the VB was sent to the same shop for testing (had no particular complaints but as it was off might as well have it checked). They replaced 2 dampers, pressure regulator valve and a couple of plugs.
For the trans I used the ZF kit to replace the seals, replaced the friction plates and also the B/C needle bearing that had already begun to fail. I used the Mobil LT 71141 fluid as recommended as well as Filtran's filter. I reused the 3 steel pipes, did not bother with measuring clutch packs nor endplay and did not renew the external cooling parts.

After rebuild I notice this behaviour: the first 3 -> 4 shift has a slight delay and subsequent shifts are harsh. Cold or warm, does not matter. No failsafe, All Comms does not show any codes from the transmission module.
Other shifts are good. Except maybe for the 1->2 and 2->1 sometimes when the trans has warmed up but this is likely a different issue.

I swapped the pressure regulator solenoids (2 <-> 4 and 3 <-> 5) but this did not make any difference. I measured the solenoids' resistance and they seemed good.

Another trans shop had a new VB for an X5 that they swapped to see if it makes any difference. It obviously did not.. Their suggestion was to try another TCU as it seemed to them the transmission was ordered a torquey shift. I swapped the TCU for another - no difference.

I have also swapped MAF sensors - although both were used and cleaned up. The engine seems to run well.

Any ideas how to proceed?
Dump the canbus traffic and try to decode what the controllers are talking?
Is the X5 VB compatible with the RR's?

Thanks for any advice
Kait

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,294 Posts
Depends how old the X5 was. Assuming the donor was a 4.4i and not a 4.6is (they use different valve body assemblies) the E53 029 transmission was in production from 1999 to 2003, whereas the L322 032 transmission was produced between 2002 & 2005. Your X5 donor may therefore have used an earlier version of the valve body assembly. All the Range Rovers were fitted with the ‘350’ unit, so it’s important that you check that the transplanted X5 unit is the same version.

Phil

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the detailed answer, Phil! I asked the shop what X5 that was, let's see if I get a reply to clear it up.

That aside, I've read that the TCU detects clutch slippage and I'm wondering if it can also detect a shift harder than expected and throw a code?

Are there any diagrams out there that would shed light on what parts of the VB are involved in 3rd to 4th shift?

As much as I want to dig into the CAN bus, I don't see how the ECU would treat one particular gear shift (regardless of the load) differently than others.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,294 Posts
During the 3-4 upshift the D brake is released and the B clutch applied (the A clutch stays engaged throughout the shift, as it used in both 3rd & 4th gears).

The control system achieves the upshift by simultaneously switching off two proportional solenoids – EDS2 and EDS3.

EDS2 controls the D brake and is activated in 3rd & 5th (which are the two gears where the D brake is applied) to hold the brake on.

EDS3 controls the B clutch and is activated in all gears other than 4th & 5th (which are the two gears where the B clutch is applied) to hold the clutch off.

You can see the clutch valves (KV-B & KV-D) and holding valves (HV-B & HV-D) switching in the hydraulic circuit diagrams below.

3rd Gear

4th Gear

Phil

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hi everyone!

Due to some drivetrain vibrations with my 2003 RR L322 4.4 I decided to rebuild the transmission.
The TC was rebuilt and the VB was sent to the same shop for testing (had no particular complaints but as it was off might as well have it checked). They replaced 2 dampers, pressure regulator valve and a couple of plugs.
For the trans I used the ZF kit to replace the seals, replaced the friction plates and also the B/C needle bearing that had already begun to fail. I used the Mobil LT 71141 fluid as recommended as well as Filtran's filter. I reused the 3 steel pipes, did not bother with measuring clutch packs nor endplay and did not renew the external cooling parts.

After rebuild I notice this behaviour: the first 3 -> 4 shift has a slight delay and subsequent shifts are harsh. Cold or warm, does not matter. No failsafe, All Comms does not show any codes from the transmission module.
Other shifts are good. Except maybe for the 1->2 and 2->1 sometimes when the trans has warmed up but this is likely a different issue.

I swapped the pressure regulator solenoids (2 <-> 4 and 3 <-> 5) but this did not make any difference. I measured the solenoids' resistance and they seemed good.

Another trans shop had a new VB for an X5 that they swapped to see if it makes any difference. It obviously did not.. Their suggestion was to try another TCU as it seemed to them the transmission was ordered a torquey shift. I swapped the TCU for another - no difference.

I have also swapped MAF sensors - although both were used and cleaned up. The engine seems to run well.

Any ideas how to proceed?
Dump the canbus traffic and try to decode what the controllers are talking?

Thanks for any advice
Kait
:oops::oops::rolleyes: how did you determine that it was definitely the transmission?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks again, Phil!
Looking at the VB parts list from some ZF's catalogue it seems X5 (except the 4.6is) and L322 VBs have identical inner parts. It is not likely that the inner parts of the VB were mixed up and afterwards tested against the same configuration.
It also seems B-clutch transition from off to on happens only with this particular shift.. I will probably have to pull the trans and see if I can spot anything unusual around the B-clutch. Also clean and inspect the VB.

:oops::oops::rolleyes: how did you determine that it was definitely the transmission?
I didn't. The transmission came off as well as the rear subframe, to have all bushings replaced. Drives nicely now, apart from the shift issue, obviously.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts