RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it’s finally happened. Pull away from the stop sign, and everything feels ok. Get to about 25mph, and the rpm go up but the speed goes down and feels like I’m coasting. I pull over to the side and hear a strange grinding sound even with the transmission put in park. Shut the car off, give it a few minutes and try again. No issues just like before...and just like before I get about 100yards out of it before I get nothing from it.

Im thinking the pump in the transmission and maybe even clutch pack A has gone out. The local transmission shop wants $1900 to rebuild it and I’m just not feeling it for that much.

Anyone has a good resource for rebuilding these things on your own? Can’t imagine they’re too difficult.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I would look for a used transmission
The zf was used in most older landrovers
I believe they were used is the first discovery’s as well
I got mike off eBay
It came out of a 95

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
They were used in Classics 87-95 P38 4.0s 1995-2002, Disco 1 3.9 and 4.0s, and Disco 2 4.0s. 4.6 models had 4hp24 unsure of fitment differences.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
They were used in Classics 87-95 P38 4.0s 1995-2002, Disco 1 3.9 and 4.0s, and Disco 2 4.0s. 4.6 models had 4hp24 unsure of fitment differences.
disco 1 up to 98 had the mechanical hp22 (dead give away it has throttle kick down cable). disco 2 and p38 4.0 came equipped with a 4hp22 "E", this is an electronic controlled unit. yes, the p38 and later d2 (03, 04) 4.6 use the hp24 "E".

the "E" units can be retrofitted to older rigs but you will need a controller known as "compushift" and the flexplate.

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
Thank you for making me smarter 95ClassicLWB, new information for me..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
370 Posts
USAFBUckeye - if you do find rebuilding resources/info please update and/or post links here.

I really think your best bet is to swap it for a known good ZF. I did that about 10 years ago for my D1, and I still have the old ZF sitting in my shop, set-up as a bar table. My thought process was that I can rebuilt it next time the need for a trans arises. Well, that and I have a lot of sweat equity invested in holding on to, and storing that sucker!

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
21 Posts
I managed to find a couple of rebuild guides online + an exploding diagram showing all the components. Just do a quick google search for zf4hp22 rebuild manual. Try this one https://cardiagn.com/zf-4hp22-transmission-service-repair-manual/

I'm pretty comfortable tackling most jobs and the only thing that really put me off rebuilding it myself was the cost of all the parts. By the time I'd added it all up it wasn't far from the price I got from Ashcroft Transmissions to get mine rebuilt + I got a warranty.

When I fitted the rebuilt one it was like night & day. Because they're so old now you forget how they should feel, it's so smooth changing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts