RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just about convinced myself the batt drain is at least in part rf related by using the forum threads & tests BUT using what I admit to being basic search skills can't find a supplier (in UK dealers are closed at present) so don't even know what the cost is likely to be... any suggestions? Also how does the remote communicate with the new higher frequency transmitter or I am making a total has of this?? / does yet another fob be required?

·
Registered
640 Posts
These Transmitters retail at around £150.00 from L/R.

A word of caution if you buy one of the likes of e-bay though they do not have the Part No. displayed on them and people put the old unit back in the box with the new Part No. on it and sell them as the latest type, due to their location they look clean and new when removed. The only way to tell the difference is by actually taking the casing off and checking the difference to the circuit board.

Ask me how I know?

Cheers

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
scimitargtc said:
Just about convinced myself the batt drain is at least in part rf related by using the forum threads & tests BUT using what I admit to being basic search skills can't find a supplier (in UK dealers are closed at present) so don't even know what the cost is likely to be... any suggestions? Also how does the remote communicate with the new higher frequency transmitter or I am making a total has of this?? / does yet another fob be required?
If you call the workshop in the morning, my workshop manager (also called Richard) can give you a LR price via MicroCat and maybe track down an alternative. I'm away at the moment. I'm back Monday though.

·
Registered
371 Posts
OK, trying to keep it simple :?

I presume you are referring to the alarm RECEIVER that is fitted below the rhs rear parcel shelf.

The mk1 and mk2 versions are of the TRF design. This basically means that they will pick anything up that is within the 433MHz band. Unfortunately conventional cellular phone transmissions when received with 3G transmissions (which is now commonplace) mix together in the alarm receiver and produce lots of rf junk including 433MHz. This mix is demodulated and the resultant signal manages to keep the BeCM busy. There is a strong likelyhood that random junk datastreams will reprogram the EMS security code and leave you stranded and / or flatten the battery.

The mk3 / current version is of the double superhet design. This means that all the above problems do not happen. That is the good news :D

The bad news is the price we have to pay to get one. £120 upwards from the main dealer :(

After extensive testing using an expensive spectrum analyser, the findings were verified and mostly present within a few hundred yards of phone masts.

Hope this helps

(tried to keep it simple :geek: )

All this relates to UK market...

Ray

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the replies - had multimeter on her tonight showing drain of 1.1A yanked every engine bay and under seat fuses but no change, charging is at 13.5V which isn't great and 28 - 40A with air suspn kicking in and out. With batt totally disconnected batt showed 0.01 discharge which I reckon is fine as a natural discharge and when I reconnected the battery discharge rose to 0.8A which seems fine from threads in the forum so I guessed there was a sticky relay that had held something 'on'. Left the meter on her and went back after 30 mins to see discharge had gone back up to 1.1A so something is switching on hence my BECM/transmitter theory........... :?:

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
Why dont you try unplugging the RF receiver,this will prove if spurious RF activity is keeping the BECM awake.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts