RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chaps it has been a while since my last visit as i tried another brand of car, i should have known better as i could not wait to get back behind the wheel of a trusty p38. the car i have bought is a 2000 4.0l se auto on gas . this will be my new project, and when i work out how to put pictures on here i will try an update my project. its not a major project just a tidy up then add some extras. it does have a few problems though, most i can do easily, but there are 4 points i would be keen to get some advise.

1. The computer constantly tells me that the 'gearbox overheat' this happens straight after start up when cold, and stays there. The bloke i bought the car from drove this for hours like this and as it says it on start up i am sure it is not hot, so i have been driving it. he said it has been filled up with too much oil, i assume he means auto transmission fluid, or do they have a separate oil system as well. when cold at idle in neutral i check the trans fluid and it looks like it has twice as much fluid in it, would this be the cause?

2. The computer tells me the bonnet is open, which it is not. how can this be fixed?

3. when throttling up i get a rattle, it sounds like a big end rattle i used to get in my old capri. but when at speed and not throttling up the engine is whisper quite or at idle it is silent, could this be sonething else?

4. there is a whurr when driving. i have just changed the oil in both diffs, both needed it, can any point in the right direction.

Chaps i am not after diagnostics really just if any of you have had the same symptoms or if these are common faults

It may sound like a lot, but the body and interior is really nice, and can't wait ot fix the above problems so i can concentrate on the modifications.

Many thanks

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Change the tranny filter and fluid ASAP and fill to the CORRECT level!
You can either adjust the bonnet latch/switch if that works, replace the latch/switch, or do what I did and cut the bloody wires and do away with it all together!
Timing chain rattle maybe? Noises are nearly impossible to give accurate answers to me thinks /:(
Is the whine from the diffs? Or from elsewhere? Need to figure that out first before anything else. Have a look for any bad joints, wheel bearings, etc etc etc.

Martin

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers mate. i am right that the only fluid in the trans is trans fluid, cherryade colour? could this be the whurr? it is almost like tyre noise but too loud for that really, i am going to work my way underneath and lube everything with in an inch of its life.

Bonnet catch, as a temp fix can you just unplug the sensor, or do you have do somehting else?

I do appreciate that noises are hard to speak on, timing chain maybe a place to look, any advise on what to look for?

Many thanks

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Tranny fluid should be a redish color yes.
I just cut and taped the wire to the bonnet catch, not worth keeping it to me mate. Just another PIA in my book.
As far as the engine noise, try to pinpoint the location then get back to us :thumb:

Martin

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Chaps.

Bonnet warning fixed. (cut the wires)

Gearbox overheating (new sensor) fixed

Too much trans fluid fixed

Whirring not fixed, will try new tyres, might be exagerating the nosie i can hear.

Engine knock/tap??? this is still the same, only knocks/tap when engine underload, its almost a metalic clicking noise. my thoughts are.

1. Big end rattle (change big ends £100 if i do it myself, i think it could be done, by just removing the sump.

2. timing chain, not convinced by this one, again a cheap fix.

3. little end knock. engine out, complete rebuild of engine

Anyone know if these range rovers are prone to lttle end knock?

its only done 81,000 miles

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'll be curios to see if your new gearbox sensor proves to be the right fix as time goes on. I have a '02 4.6 HSE 70k miles with the same issue. I took it into Land Rover East in Denver and they spent five hours swapping out sensors, relays and fluids. Then they downloaded all new software and did a total reset on the computer and still nothing worked. I paid for the fluid change and they didn't charge me for anything else since nothing eliminated the problem. It comes and goes now, been a few weeks since its gone off but the last time was when I got in first thing in the morning after it'd been sitting for two days. Some days it will go off every ten minutes, other days one time and it'll be so quick you hear the beep, see a flash and it's gone. Then other days it'll stay on for ten minutes. As far as the dealership could ascertain they blame it on a short in the control box. For the price of replacing that I'll live with the occasional message.

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts
Redgoatea said:
Then they downloaded all new software and did a total reset on the computer
:think: I would be very interested in exactly what it is they did. :?

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
rrtoadhall said:
Redgoatea said:
You and me both. All new software?????
I know my big rig gets software updates from time to time, but on a P38?

Martin

·
Registered
35 Posts
Is the Bonnet Open switch part of the alarm system? Or does that system just involve the doors and the rear hatch?

·
Registered
186 Posts
rrtoadhall said:
Redgoatea said:
I've done the same thing. I clamp a Windows 98 CD on my Blackbox MV with a vice grip, then check the settings in the BECM. Seems to run better. I think you can get the same result by threading the cable through the hole in the center of the CD as well, but you have to take one of the cable ends off first. I don't think it loads the operating system, just those old cool off-road games where you drove the truck with your mouse.

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts
rtonder said:
rrtoadhall said:
Redgoatea said:
I've done the same thing. I clamp a Windows 98 CD on my Blackbox MV with a vice grip, then check the settings in the BECM. Seems to run better.
OMG... LMAO, is THAT what it takes to get a BBS product to work. :lol:

·
Registered
186 Posts
rrtoadhall said:
rtonder said:
I've done the same thing. I clamp a Windows 98 CD on my Blackbox MV with a vice grip, then check the settings in the BECM. Seems to run better.
OMG... LMAO, is THAT what it takes to get a BBS product to work. :lol:
Well of course. You can use that method or let it down on the bumps with a AOL CD between the stops for each wheel, then use the MV to tell you it can't find the vehicle server. Turn the ignition on, and the AOL software will be squeezed out and flow into the wheel sensors. Be sure it's parked on a level stretch of pavement before you do this or you'll get a virus. If so the truck will lock itself. At least that's what I've come up with.

Sorry to steal the thread. I'll shut up now.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Honestly have no idea what they did that's just what they told me. If you're that curious call Land Rover East in Denver and ask them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts