RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to swap from a '04 Discovery over to a RR. Now, I've been looking pretty hard, but what are your guys' thoughts? I believe that I should be able to find a clean one under 70k miles for $20k or less (03-04). Does this seem out of the question? Also, how DIY friendly are these? On the Disco, there wasn't much to it. It was about the same as working on any other car; good mechanical skills paired with the RAVE fixed most repairs. I've read they have a RAVE for the BMW engine models as well, so that's a plus. So, what's yall's thoughts?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Do it.... At least with this model you have a bullet proof engine, not like the old rover v8 which can have cylinder liner problems, head gasket problems , block problems, oil pump problems ect... The disco is a nice truck but does not compare to the range rover at all. I have not had any problems other than usual wear and tear.

·
Registered
67 Posts
mine had 130000km which is about 80000miles on it when I got it in June.. I needed to buy a new radio module but ended up upgrading to the later one and the MK4 nav.. I paid $17k for mine. Its pretty clean had a new set of tires on it, the previous owner was being extra helpful and installed a new brush bar on it for me before I picked it up.. wasn't happy at all when i saw that! But got $500 back for it when i removed it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback. However, I'm having a hard time finding a clean one in my price range. Anything under 70k mi, people are asking way too much for (imo).

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
I do most of my own work, and came from discovery's as well. The range is much more complicated but do-able with the right tools.

What is your price range? With the range rover IMO you want to pay a little more for a cleaner one vs a rat for no money, they end up balancing one another out.

·
Registered
952 Posts
You should be able to find an 03-04 for less than $20k, they are expensive to own but it sounds like you do your own wrenching so go for it. There should be lots of clean examples out there, they are generally well taken care of.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I came across an '03 silver with 83k for just under $18k. It's a little more miles than I want. It's being sold at an independent LR place that I've had good business with before (Bear Valley Land Rover in ATL), so I feel that it's probably up to par mechanically. Just looking at the carfax, and it had been regularly serviced all its life, and I'm sure not every service even made it to carfax. Your opinions? Tried getting a link from their site, but it's all flash it seems like, so you can't link directly to a certain car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts