RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I've loved Range Rovers for ever and I'm about to purchase a 2003. I want to get your opinon on the vehicle and maybe get a heads up on some things I should look out for.

Oh they said it looks dusty because it just came off of the the truck.... :think:

Thanks
Lef Field

http://www.galaxiemotors.com/detail-200 ... 15310.html

·
Registered
67 Posts
The paint could do with a good buff, from the exterior to looks as if the previous owner hasn't bothered about detailing. Also the VIN plate sticker looks as if someones being picking/peeling at it.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah the deal said that they just replaced one of the airbags. I'll check it out tomorrow. He also claims that the paint job is good it just looks dusty because they took the pictures as soon as it came of the truck. I'll ask about the win plate...

G

·
0 Posts
If they disconnected that battery at any point and don't know how to reset the suspension, that could be the cause of the "Air suspension inactive" message. Just start the car and without moving into any gear, turn the steering wheel all the way to the left, then all the way to the right. IF it is just a reset issue, the message will go away, IF it doesn't, you may be looking at a trip to the dealer before anything else.

My only other observation is that for the miles on it, the steering wheel looks a little worn to me. Makes me think those miles were not easy, highway miles.

Oh, and not to nit pick, but your title is wrong. Our opinion doesn't matter at all. The only persons opinion who counts is yours (and maybe your wifes) :thumb:

·
Registered
148 Posts
By 100k miles you will need to do the entire cooling system (rad, hoses, water pump) and will probably pop the other airbag in the front. The rear aibags will also need to be replaced soon thereafter. Additionally, you will probably need an alternator and battery if they are original. Finally, the transmission will likely need replacement soon.

How do I know this? I bought mine at 50k miles, and it now has 110k miles. All the above has been done on my truck.

So - how good of a deal are you getting on this one? The above work is multiple thousands of dollars at an independant shop and orders of magnitude more at a dealer.

G

·
0 Posts
Ok, i'll buy in to the fact that the cooling system will need to be monitored and parts likely replaced, but don't you think it's a little sensationalist to state the transmission will likely need replacing soon. That (to be blunt) is a load of crap. Just because you had a bad experience, doesn't mean there's a systemic issue with them. Not to say he won't have problems with it if he does buy it, but it is far from a certainty. :snooty:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Mr. Range Rover said:
Ok, i'll buy in to the fact that the cooling system will need to be monitored and parts likely replaced, but don't you think it's a little sensationalist to state the transmission will likely need replacing soon. That (to be blunt) is a load of crap. Just because you had a bad experience, doesn't mean there's a systemic issue with them. Not to say he won't have problems with it if he does buy it, but it is far from a certainty. :snooty:

Just reading the board here, knowing the history of the RR and the BMW X5 and extrapolating that transmission life after 100k miles is just now coming into focus as the 2003's go beyond 100k miles.

It's just something I would plan for and if it doesn't happen - great.

By the way, do you know at what temp these transmissions run? I do. I've installed a gauge and can tell you it is VERY common for this transmission to run at 210 to 225 degrees. Look up the "life" of ATF at 225 degrees and you will see why I think a transmission might be in the future. Also, take into account that Range Rover considers this ATF to be a "lifetime fill" - NEVER to be serviced. That's just a load to me.

All these things would lead me to believe the life of a transmission is about 100k when serviced (or in other words, "not") like RR recommends.

·
Registered
60 Posts
It has studded tires, you probably will not be able to use them in the summer so a new set will be needed in the spring.

G

·
0 Posts
barsa said:
It has studded tires, you probably will not be able to use them in the summer so a new set will be needed in the spring.
Good catch. I missed that. I think in some states they're illegal to.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Your most likely gonna need to change your fromt air struts as well which is where I'm at right now and is how I found this forum there not cheap . I have has my RR 2003 HSE for two years now got it with 60 k and at 84K like clock work here come the dreaded suspension problems which I've just posted about OH yeah and a leak in the coolant gallery I must fix anyways if you get it I would advise you to do as I did and go to LR dealership get cool with the part guys when picking dealer item you may need than ask on the side to point you in the direction of on of the mechanics that does work on the side and discretely get his # save my truck from having to be flat bedded to the dealer to tell me I needed a driver-side front air strut and cleared the codes to show me the leak . Brakes I hear are also costly so check them out and don't ride your brake RR is 6700 lbs takes a lot to stop something that heavy moving at a high speed. But all that considered I love it the ride when it works is amazing it's great off-road and in the snow and they have mods to the head unit for back up camera and bluettooth ..maybe look into a good extended warranty

G

·
0 Posts
PhilC said:
Your most likely gonna need to change your fromt air struts as well which is where I'm at right now and is how I found this forum there not cheap.
Why?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey Mr. Range Rover you have provided many informative responses I'm sure everybody appreciates all your help .I say that the Strut problems come btw 75k- 90k cause everyone I have met with model yrs 03-05 warned me about the suspension have problems btw that millage as they had experienced it LR mechanics I speak to here also say the same especially city miles with the potholes and as you very observantly noticed the condition of the steering wheel would imply hard miles. I'm here to learn and speak about my experiences by no means am I pretending to be any scholar in the repair of Range Rovers let me just throw that out there so nobody thinks I'm second guessing or criticizing anyone here to learn and make some friends hopefully

G

·
0 Posts
PhilC said:
Hey Mr. Range Rover you have provided many informative responses I'm sure everybody appreciates all your help .I say that the Strut problems come btw 75k- 90k cause everyone I have met with model yrs 03-05 warned me about the suspension have problems btw that millage as they had experienced it LR mechanics I speak to here also say the same especially city miles with the potholes and as you very observantly noticed the condition of the steering wheel would imply hard miles. I'm here to learn and speak about my experiences by no means am I pretending to be any scholar in the repair of Range Rovers let me just throw that out there so nobody thinks I'm second guessing or criticizing anyone here to learn and make some friends hopefully
OK, He may well need strut work based upon how that particular vehicle was driven. You may need strut work because of the large pot hole, but not every 03-05 RR will need strut work between 75K and 90K miles.
You need to be carful using definitive statements like "Your most likely gonna need" and would be better served suggesting that he have the struts inspected closely as they are a weak spot of the 03-05 RR design.
Others (non-owners) will be searching this forum for information, not miss-information. I don't want to disuade you from contributing your thoughts, but please, make sure that people know they are your thoughts, or post / link us to supporting information if you make an absolute statement.
Personally, my RR has 93K on it, and doesn't need strut or radiator work (touhes wood for effect :lol: ) so I am always interested in these "failures" that people are quoting that happen at circa. 100K miles
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I can second that... met a guy who got ~150k out of the original struts. Depending on where and how you drive, the struts may not have the same rough life as they would someplace else. I don't think its typical for them to last that long, but it can happen. I wouldn't go and replace them until it is really needed.

Transmission is also highly variable... but it is probably a bit more prone to induce fear in owners because it is not something that is easily serviced at home. Just removing the transmission (safely), let alone rebuilding it, requires some serious (and costly) equipment which many people don't have. Transmission is one thing I would most likely leave to a professional myself (although I would consider buying a cheap broken one to learn on).

I've talked to the owner of the independent shop where I sometimes take my RR when I either don't have time, or don't feel able to fix something, and he feels like a lot of the transmission problems are due to the official "lifetime fill" which RR prescribes. In vehicles he services, if the fluid/filter/gaskets/seals are maintained every 50k-60k, and you make sure the radiator/cooler lines never get clogged, he says the 5 speed zf is actually quite solid. Of course, buying used with high miles, you often don't really know what happened in the past.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I might qualify that statement about the transmission service by saying its possible to it cheaply (I've even known people who think nothing of just dropping one on their chest), I just won't feel right risking damage to the transmission (or myself) without specialized equipment.

G

·
0 Posts
linuxfreakus said:
I might qualify that statement about the transmission service by saying its possible to it cheaply (I've even known people who think nothing of just dropping one on their chest), I just won't feel right risking damage to the transmission (or myself) without specialized equipment.
Never done it with a ZF, but did do it with a Ford Granada auto trans in the 90's. Try to bench that thing back up into place the third or fourth time is a real pain.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'd second what linuxfreaks says - good preventative maintenance, and a realistic life expectancy on certain parts, and I'm sure a RR will give years of good service. I also run a 300tdi disco -supposedly very unreliable, but follow the maintenace schedules, and it runs like clockwork, and that with heavy off road driving.

My recent purchase 2003 RR TD6 had 140k km. When I bought it I negotiated to cover what I knew was wrong (interior trim issues, sound system down) and to cover what I could reasonably expect to change.

The fuel pump went shortly after I bought it, followed by the front NS strut, neither of which for me is shocking after 90k + miles.

What was shocking, was that when I put it in for a service at the stealers, and asked them to do a full service, they did .....nothing. Nothing that is apart from the things that I explicitly asked to be done (change rear diff and transmission oil, front diff upgrade) but they ignored some of the things that I felt critical:

No air filter change - not even checked
Crankcase breather valve - not even checked
Auto box filter - not required
Fuel filter - not necessary

As an example, they say they checked the fuel filter ???? To me this translates to "if there is not a fault in the ECU, there is not a problem!" as they did not even try removing what is clearly a very old filter from its exterior.

They also did not do things mandated by LR:

Clean drain lines
Check sun roof drains

and I later found that the reason my sound system was taking swimming lessons was because the sun roof drains were blocked.

So where am I going - if you buy a vehicle that looks, sounds and drives OK, and give it a thorough in depth maintenance service, including changing things that can reasonably be expected to fail, you can easily add an extra 100k miles to its life. I am now doing the things the stealer didn't do, plus changing all air bags and shocks - they will fail eventually, so why play poker and wait for it to fail when you don't need it - do it up front and enjoy the next 100k miles. As for the oil changes - if someone could explain the revolution in 5 years that mean that diff oil changes are a thing of the past, especially given the "light weight" construction of modern diffs, then please go ahead!

Moral of the story - don't expect miracles - if its mechanical, it will fail, eventually. The trick is to stay ahead of the game and not watch from behind!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts