RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.. I've searched and searched and read what I think are the relevant posts on getting an aftermarket stereo to work on a 2002 RR. I'm still confused as to the solution to the problem.

To top it all off, my RR has an aftermarket unit which apparently came from Crutchfield and is plugged into the harness how "normal," stereos would be. Thus, it sounds horrible. AND I can't determine what stereo was OEM (alpine/Clarion/etc) when reading the posts on this forum, and the how to on Nexxia.com.

What I'm most confused about is the apparent disagreement on pre-outs v. built in amp/speaker leads. I'm no electrical engineering genius, but it's my understanding that it doesn't matter what the H/K amp output is (OHMS) are if it's being fed a signal from a pre-out. Yet there are posts suggesting the opposite.

Bear with me on this one.. RCA Pre-out to amplifier, whether it's pushing power out at 2/4/70 ohms deals with the signal thats being amplified at the amp and being sent to the speaker (whether wired in series/parallel/or some other strange 70 ohm combination.)

For what it's worth, the Head Unit I plan on using has 3 sets of 5V pre-outs. Front/Rear/Sub. So, theoretically... if I can get the signal to the H/K amps... it's all good..

Right? Wrong? Shoot myself now and save you guys the trouble of responding?

Thanks in advance

G

·
0 Posts
I cant help you on the aftermarket stereo part, but your original head unit was an Alpine. Clarion was up to mid 99, then Alpine from then on. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Which would lead to a follow up question/assumption. Would that mean the Pioneer changer located in the boot is aftermarket? hmmmmm

time to rip stuff apart! Yay! I love a good excuse to do that!

·
Registered
537 Posts
For my little bit. It would an Alpine unit and changer. Cd connects through usual din type plug. Radio ariel thin co-ax near changer.
Speaker and power standard din two plug set-up. Then two plugs(Can not remember colour) that do streering wheel controls etc.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Normal cars don't have amps in the doors running the speakers. They run off deck power. (there is a VERY small amp in the deck) Even my grandpa doesn't use deck power. The inputs going to the amps in your doors run off line level aka rca connectors not speaker level like normal cars. Rca's are usually in the form of pre-outs on a aftermarket deck. What you have to do is connect the pre-outs on your aftermarket deck with the corresponding speaker corner and sub-woofer. RAVE will have the correct connector and pin diagram. Guess and check works too if you are very careful.

- eric

·
Registered
401 Posts
JHolmes said:
For what it's worth, the Head Unit I plan on using has 3 sets of 5V pre-outs. Front/Rear/Sub. So, theoretically... if I can get the signal to the H/K amps... it's all good..
I tried it with a 2V Double Din dvd deck and it was flawless, not sure about a 5V. Might say on the amp in the door what voltage it should be on the input. Worth a look.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts