RangeRovers.net Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
3,952 Posts
If the doors keep locking themselves, it's because one of the microswitches in a latch is failing. Far simpler to fix the cause than butcher everything else trying to get around the symptom and introduce yet more potential problems for yourself in the future.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Gilbert, you are a Spoilsport!
If someone wishes to tilt at windmills, then they are entitled to do so......
Does not mean he will be successful, but there ya go!
"With out experimentation and risk, there would never be progress"

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Does the RSW Solutions GEMSTONE reset tool provide enough details to fix this problem, or do I need to take it to a dealer or get a Faultmate. Has anyone experirnce of using this tool. RSW website contact displays nothing when I try to use it. Maybe they were getting too many questions. I use their EAS reset tool and its good once you get used to it.

·
Banned
3,952 Posts
Which problem is this? Is it still disabled and needing the EKA or are we now talking about dancing door locks? Not sure what you mean by the RSW Solutions Gemstone software. According to their website they do version 3 of EASUnlock which does more than just the EAS but not sure if it will cure your problem. It certainly won't stop dancing door locks though.

If you still haven't been able to enter the EKA as you don't have a working lock, then do it with the rod to the latch that should go to the lock. If you have no EKA programmed, then you need to cause the latch to lock 4 times, then unlock once. If it has the US standard 1515, then you need to go to lock 4 times, then unlock once, then lock 5 times, then unlock once, then lock 5 times and finally to unlock.

If you have been able to enter the EKA and get it running and it is the dancing locks, then, if you are sure that the microswitches are good, you need to check the wiring to the latch in case something is shorting to earth with vibrations. There's a sticky on how to check the microswitches in the latch at the top of the forum.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Back to clearing the engine disabled. RSW have a Gemstone product for the P38, not easy to find on their website and details are sketchy. Apparently it clears BECM lockouts and logs error codes to a text file which can be read later by plugging the device into a computer. Cheaper than a faultmate or my local independent RR people who charge me more than I expect whenever I use them.

Has anyone used it?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Back to my original problem. Drivers door lock smashed. After replacing drivers door, engine is disabled. The old lock barrel is crushed and I dont have a key to the new door. My remote never worked.

If I get another door with a working key, will the BECM be happy with a foreign key, or will I have to get a locksmith to massage the lock barrel to accept my key... is so then I might as well get him to work on replacement door number 1.

I will probably have to transfer lock with existing microswitches from damaged door.

I have ordered a Gemstone Reset tool from RSW Solutions, which should allow me to start the motor.... Time will tell.

·
Banned
3,952 Posts
Take the replacement lock out and make it fit your existing key.

Then get the remote working so you don't have these problems again in the future.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Thanks. Will get key locksmith organised.

A local RR independant reputed to be good, but pricey said he tried to get my remote working without success. They might have had it to fix the micro-switches at the time... Doors locking and unlocking as I was driving.

The remote has a Land Rover logo.

Should it be possible to get the remote working?

·
Banned
3,952 Posts
Does it have good batteries, is the metal strip that contacts on the batteries still there, does the LED come on when you press the buttons?

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,219 Posts
It may be the slightly pricier option, but less hassle in the long run than going down the road of different keys/remotes and all that - but you could give the dealer a call and see how much a replacement door handle/lock barrel is for your vehicle... if it is ordered by the VIN number, then it will come with a new lock barrel which is cut/set up correctly for the key you have?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
I have ordered a new driver door lock as suggested.

I have received the gemstone product. As yet the car stays disabled and I am unable to contact RSW for any support. The contact link on their website seems not to be working. Does anyone have a working email for RSW?

21 - 34 of 34 Posts