RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm new to the thread and to the world of Range Rovers, don't roast me too hard. I'm a long time Subaru owner and decided to make the jump to a 1994 RRC LWB. I bought it local, and it is my daily driver. It has been running fine for about 600 miles but just recently threw code 44. I have done my research on here and it seems as though it can be any of the following: O2, timing, ignition, distributor, plugs, MAF and more...some of the advice is also a bit conflicting and convoluted. As my daily I'd like to resolve ASAP. I also have the Mid-Atlantic Rally coming up and would like to attend that.

Naturally, I swapped the left O2 sensor, attempted to reset the OBD Display: Nothing. I then swapped spark plugs from platinums to iridiums - previous owner installed wrong ones - and still nothing. I then Cleaned the MAF and it still wouldn't clear. Would letting it run for a while with the plugs and cleaned MAF help? Will it auto-clear?

What should I do next??? I'm at a complete loss and not sure what to do next.
Check continuity of pigtail?

I'm at a loss at what to do since it seems like it could truly be so much.

Here's what I did in an attempt to clear the code:
1) Turn ignition on
2) Disconnect sereial link (assuming this is the OBD-D), wait 5 seconds, reconnect
3) Switch off ignition. Wait for main relay to drop.
4) Switch on ignition, the display will be blank
5) Repeat if multiple faults

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi there,

First of all, congrats on your '94 LWB. That extra few inches of rear-seat legroom and 4.2L engine must be nice!
There's a good chance you've come across this in your research:

The link above recommends checking the O2 sensor wiring first, which can be found in page 223 of RAVE (link below just in case)

Otherwise, the easy culprits to identify are a bad spark plug wire, faulty fuel injector, or a vacuum leak.
I've noticed that it's little issues with the ignition system that give me the biggest problems, although vacuum leaks are sure to happen on 25+ year old hoses.

·
Registered
294 Posts
What would cleaning the stepper motor do? It's just an air bleed into the plenum chamber to modulate rpm with throttle plate in closed position, not something cylinder bank independent and does nothing during anything above that. That's not going to be helpful.

As shastacaster posted, primarily you're looking to see if the O2 sensor and wiring for that bank checks out and not give a false report.

If that's OK, the banks are seperate for injection firing so would be a logical next step.

·
Registered
5 Posts
@Modelo_Mando congrats! My DD is a 94 LWB as well. How many times did you repeat the code clearing process? I've had a code 69 take somewhere in the 5-10 neighborhood. You can clear the ECU memory disconnecting the battery as well, given the work you've done this might be worthwhile. Lastly, if you're a little electronically savvy you'll want to check out https://github.com/colinbourassa/libcomm14cux.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@Modelo_Mando congrats! My DD is a 94 LWB as well. How many times did you repeat the code clearing process? I've had a code 69 take somewhere in the 5-10 neighborhood. You can clear the ECU memory disconnecting the battery as well, given the work you've done this might be worthwhile. Lastly, if you're a little electronically savvy you'll want to check out https://github.com/colinbourassa/libcomm14cux.
Thanks, and awesome man. Yeah, I went ahead and did a hard reset as I attempted clearing it 20+ times. I figured it would pop back up if it's an ongoing issue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi there,

First of all, congrats on your '94 LWB. That extra few inches of rear-seat legroom and 4.2L engine must be nice!
There's a good chance you've come across this in your research:

The link above recommends checking the O2 sensor wiring first, which can be found in page 223 of RAVE (link below just in case)

Otherwise, the easy culprits to identify are a bad spark plug wire, faulty fuel injector, or a vacuum leak.
I've noticed that it's little issues with the ignition system that give me the biggest problems, although vacuum leaks are sure to happen on 25+ year old hoses.
Thanks for the help and information. I did a hard reset by disconnecting the battery and it is gone. If it comes back I will follow the steps you mentioned.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
5 Participants
Modelo_Mando
RangeRovers.net Forum
We’re a community forum to discuss and assist on issues with every Range Rover model. Sign up if you have a question, answer or to meet like minded individuals
Full Forum Listing