RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought the truck. The cabin filters were disgusting. Does not sound like that is that unusual as it is easy to forget about. I will now start to replace relays (L7 first) to see if the a/c kicks up in speed. Sounds like it is going full blast now but there just does not seem like that much air coming out although what comes out is cold. Will the little book go away on the a/c display once I have replaced the correct relay or is there more to the job?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Any luck with this one? My AC has been working great for a long time and now is starting to show the same symptons intermittently.

Works great when the truck has sat a while, but if it's only been an hour or so since the last time I ran it, the fan blows low (makes lots of noise though) and the air coming out the vents is still cold. My cabin filters aren't too bad, and one of my blower relays is brand new...

Thanks

·
Administrator
27,822 Posts
Switch your relays around first. I used to receive the cheque book fault every 4 or 5 months. A quick reset of relays always cleared it. While you are swapping them around check for corrosion on the terminals, both male and female.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
rrtoadhall said:
Switch your relays around first. I used to receive the cheque book fault every 4 or 5 months. A quick reset of relays always cleared it. While you are swapping them around check for corrosion on the terminals, both male and female.
So the check book goes away on its own once you have switched around the relays or do you have to reset it? I tried looking at the L7 and it looks like it is ok but not sure. Is it possible that the relay is bad but does not outwardly appear to be fried/burnt?

·
Registered
701 Posts
Might be a blend motor failure.... did it get stuck blowing in the foot well, by chance? I get the book symbol too, after the rover has been running for 10 to 30 minutes. Everything works properly, so I do not know what to make of it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hmmmm, if you symptons are just like mine, definitely check out the relays. I had replaced RL7 about a month or two ago, so I went to check it out. I could smell the lovely aroma of burning plastic/electronics when opening the fuse box. There was a nice little melted patch on one of the relay terminals and near the socket in the fuse box. I replaced the relay and don't seem to be having the fan speed problem anymore. But, I can still smell some smoldering plastic when I stick my nose near the fuse box. Based on the reading on the main page I did, sounds like I better get a new fuse box on order for a more permanent fix... Good luck with yours...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lrscott said:
Might be a blend motor failure.... did it get stuck blowing in the foot well, by chance? I get the book symbol too, after the rover has been running for 10 to 30 minutes. Everything works properly, so I do not know what to make of it.
It definitely blows more in the foot well than at the main vents. Still seems to keep the truck cool even in Florida though so not overly worried about the situation... Going to fidget with the relays this weekend and see if something is differnt....

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
checked all the fuses, no problem there. Pulled the relays, did not see a problem there. Might just go ahead and buy a couple new relays and see if the problem goes away... does the little book symbol go away if you have replaced the correct relay? Does this happen right a way or does it take time for the computer to realize the problem has been addressed? If I go out and buy one of those electronic devices to read the truck computer, will it help to narrow down the problem? The a/c is probably the least of my concerns but it would help make owning this vehicle a little more pleasant beings that we live in Florida....

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,851 Posts
Hi

Your symphtoms are consistent with one blower not working.
Both blowers are connected to a common manifold that is led into the distribution chanel and passes through the heater matrix or evaporator which are both aluminum block heat exchangers with fins. In case one blower fails the air of the blower that is still running is taking the easy way out and that is through the suction of the non functioning blower.

Switch your system to recirculation and run the blowers. If yo have air blowing in the footwell at one side you have found the side where the blower is not functioning. Now start trouble shooting that blower with exchanging of relays of that side with a new one, and if that doesn't work open up your dashboard and measure voltage at the terminals of the motor.

Regards

Jos

·
Registered
26 Posts
When I replaced my relay, the book symbol went out right away. It wasn't faulty all the time though, only seemed to be a problem when the car was already warmed up. It also seemed like the book symbol came on more quickly with the relay as opposed to the blend motors. When the fan/relay problem would happen, the book symbol would come on very quickly - within ~2 seconds of the car starting. When I had blend motor problems, the book symbol didn't turn on until 10+ seconds or so, at least for me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts