Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2003 l322 td6
25 Posts
Tracking is easy to check and from what you’ve said it would be my first port of call. Have you noticed if your steering wheel is slightly off centre?
Anyway you can check by centring the steering wheel, put the drivers seat belt through the steering wheel spokes and clip it in. Pull it tight so the steering wheel is fixed. Then put a straight edge across the front wheels on the bodywork. You should be able to see straight away if the wheels are out of kilter.
keep the steering wheel where it is and set one wheel to something near straight by adjusting the track rod end. Easy done. Then look at where you are with the other wheelising your straight edge again. I use a longish spirit level. Set that as near straight as possible using the track rod end again. Tighten up the lock nuts and take it for a spin. Bingo. You will need to get it professionally tracked up again, but at least that will clear all those faults.

·
Registered
2003 l322 td6
25 Posts
Aaron, no luck with the reverse suggestion, it continues to trigger the lights. The troubleshooting you did for yours is nothing short of epic, congrats.

SSteve, I think you're onto something. While the steering wheel is generally straight, both front tires seem out of true. One has a slight off-center angle (+/- 5 degrees), while the other one (the one with the new axl/CV) almost seems to protrude from the wheel well too much - almost as if there were spacers on the hub. The tracking rod ends (tie-rods over here) adjustment nut is very much frozen, so I may skip straight to an alignment shop.

·
Registered
2003 l322 td6
25 Posts
From what you’ve said about the position of the front wheels I’m pretty certain that’s the problem. I live in fairly rural France and I couldn’t find anyone to align the wheels so I had to improvise myself and it was pretty straightforward once I soaked the tie rods in releasing oil. Good luck !

1 - 5 of 5 Posts