Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I am officially stumped (as is my local indy shop). After driving 100 ft or so, the dash lights up (w/ messaging re HDC Sys. not available, lowering suspension). The lights around the suspension knob (access, standard, and off-road height) go dark and knob is unresponsive. Otherwise, nothing else is affected. Everything resets after restarting ignition.

only code (pulled via IID):
C1A95-62 (8) - wheel speed sensor - signal compare failure. According to a diagnostic guide to DTC, this code indicates the wheel speed sensor is installed in the reverse direction. I'm not sure how that's possible, but worth a look. Nope, seems like everything is aligned properly. no sensor's dangling or spun around.

Starting with the obvious, I used IID to graph wheel speed, hoping to validate whether the ABS sensors are faulty. Could these small variations reflect a bad sensor?

Rectangle Slope Parallel Font Road

Because this is often a SAS issue, I also captured live data of both steering angle voltage and steering wheel angle.
  • Voltage was fairly stable, with a couple of dips below 14.0. Could those dips in voltage indicate an issue with the SAS itself?
Rectangle Slope Water Parallel Font

• Steering wheel angle was responsive and tracked rotation is both directions, which leads away from that -but I'm not convinced.
Slope Rectangle Triangle Parallel Font

All of these measurements continued after the lights trigger (no sensor dropped off completely).

ABS module?

Thanks for reading.
-Will
Rectangle Slope Water Parallel Font
Slope Rectangle Triangle Parallel Font
Rectangle Slope Parallel Font Road

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the insight. Yes, this all started with an AC compressor replacement at a new shop in town. Regular shop was backed up, and this place has several former dealer techs. Called to say it needs an axl/CV joint, so they installed (genuine LR). A couple of days later, they called to say it needed a speed sensor (again, used genuine parts). I assume they saw this code and tried to fix it. This place also botched a couple of other items during an oil change, so I was happy to just get the truck out of there and to my other (trusted) local shop. They have swapped out that one sensor for a known good one, as well as the axl. Nothing seemed amiss with the tone ring, No change to the issue. It's got us both stumped.

Steve, how can I check the tracking?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One curious thing I found. This is a 2006 SC, which all fit guides suggest the green barrel speed sensors. However, the connectors going back to the ECU as blue. The other (not new) front sensor is green. Any logic to trying blue ones on both sides?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Aaron, no luck with the reverse suggestion, it continues to trigger the lights. The troubleshooting you did for yours is nothing short of epic, congrats.

SSteve, I think you're onto something. While the steering wheel is generally straight, both front tires seem out of true. One has a slight off-center angle (+/- 5 degrees), while the other one (the one with the new axl/CV) almost seems to protrude from the wheel well too much - almost as if there were spacers on the hub. The tracking rod ends (tie-rods over here) adjustment nut is very much frozen, so I may skip straight to an alignment shop.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts