Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I am officially stumped (as is my local indy shop). After driving 100 ft or so, the dash lights up (w/ messaging re HDC Sys. not available, lowering suspension). The lights around the suspension knob (access, standard, and off-road height) go dark and knob is unresponsive. Otherwise, nothing else is affected. Everything resets after restarting ignition.

only code (pulled via IID):
C1A95-62 (8) - wheel speed sensor - signal compare failure. According to a diagnostic guide to DTC, this code indicates the wheel speed sensor is installed in the reverse direction. I'm not sure how that's possible, but worth a look. Nope, seems like everything is aligned properly. no sensor's dangling or spun around.

Starting with the obvious, I used IID to graph wheel speed, hoping to validate whether the ABS sensors are faulty. Could these small variations reflect a bad sensor?

Rectangle Slope Parallel Font Road

Because this is often a SAS issue, I also captured live data of both steering angle voltage and steering wheel angle.
  • Voltage was fairly stable, with a couple of dips below 14.0. Could those dips in voltage indicate an issue with the SAS itself?
Rectangle Slope Water Parallel Font

• Steering wheel angle was responsive and tracked rotation is both directions, which leads away from that -but I'm not convinced.
Slope Rectangle Triangle Parallel Font

All of these measurements continued after the lights trigger (no sensor dropped off completely).

ABS module?

Thanks for reading.
-Will
Rectangle Slope Water Parallel Font
Slope Rectangle Triangle Parallel Font
Rectangle Slope Parallel Font Road

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
157 Posts
Just replaced all the wheel speed/ABS sensors in my 2006 while I was doing front wheel bearings. If you end up replacing them be prepared to just drill them out (easy job) of the hub bore - mine wouldn't come out even after using penetrant.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,651 Posts
Cracked tone ring on the CV axle maybe? Did you replace any wheel speed sensors just before this happened? Some of the aftermarket ones don't have the proper spacing between the tone ring and the end of the sensor. I've had to shave a few mills of the back of the mounting bracket where it screws into tha hub to move the sensor a bit closer to the tone ring.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the insight. Yes, this all started with an AC compressor replacement at a new shop in town. Regular shop was backed up, and this place has several former dealer techs. Called to say it needs an axl/CV joint, so they installed (genuine LR). A couple of days later, they called to say it needed a speed sensor (again, used genuine parts). I assume they saw this code and tried to fix it. This place also botched a couple of other items during an oil change, so I was happy to just get the truck out of there and to my other (trusted) local shop. They have swapped out that one sensor for a known good one, as well as the axl. Nothing seemed amiss with the tone ring, No change to the issue. It's got us both stumped.

Steve, how can I check the tracking?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One curious thing I found. This is a 2006 SC, which all fit guides suggest the green barrel speed sensors. However, the connectors going back to the ECU as blue. The other (not new) front sensor is green. Any logic to trying blue ones on both sides?

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,651 Posts
Apparently the front wheel speed sensors with the blue barrel are for the 2002-2005 L322's and all the 3.0L TD6 engine vehicles and the green barrelled ones (SSF500011) are for the 2006 up 4.4, 4.2 and 3.6L TDV8 vehicles. I should note that the current LR catalog lists the SSF500011 as being appropriate for the 2002 thru 2005 as well. So maybe its good for all of them but the old ones don't work on the 2006 and up ones, don't know. Maybe its just a different supplier issue also. One manufacturer makes a blue one, one makes a green one. I do know some people have said that they have had issues with using different colored sensors than what was on there originally.

Swap the good one (if you can get it out without breaking it) with the new one ad see if the fault follows the sensor.

·
Registered
2007 Range Rover 4.2 SC V8
429 Posts
I'll chime in. Had a similar issue.

Try driving in reverse. Does it do it then? If no then it is likely your abs pressure sensor.
That was the last and trickiest of my 3 amigo saga. Also had my shop stumped.

The abs pressure sensor value is only requested when the vehicle is moving forward and above 10kmh. It does not fault when driven in reverse. It is integral to the hydraulic control unit of the abs unit. You can replace with a used one and swap the ECU from the old one so you don't have a vin mismatch.

I believe the Bosch 5.7 abs units have a replaceable sensors but the Bosch 8.1 units are pressed in and cannot be replaced - trust me. I made a thread of my story with the three amigos you may want to search and skim through. I detail things better than I did in this post.

Good luck

·
Registered
2003 l322 td6
26 Posts
Tracking is easy to check and from what you’ve said it would be my first port of call. Have you noticed if your steering wheel is slightly off centre?
Anyway you can check by centring the steering wheel, put the drivers seat belt through the steering wheel spokes and clip it in. Pull it tight so the steering wheel is fixed. Then put a straight edge across the front wheels on the bodywork. You should be able to see straight away if the wheels are out of kilter.
keep the steering wheel where it is and set one wheel to something near straight by adjusting the track rod end. Easy done. Then look at where you are with the other wheelising your straight edge again. I use a longish spirit level. Set that as near straight as possible using the track rod end again. Tighten up the lock nuts and take it for a spin. Bingo. You will need to get it professionally tracked up again, but at least that will clear all those faults.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Aaron, no luck with the reverse suggestion, it continues to trigger the lights. The troubleshooting you did for yours is nothing short of epic, congrats.

SSteve, I think you're onto something. While the steering wheel is generally straight, both front tires seem out of true. One has a slight off-center angle (+/- 5 degrees), while the other one (the one with the new axl/CV) almost seems to protrude from the wheel well too much - almost as if there were spacers on the hub. The tracking rod ends (tie-rods over here) adjustment nut is very much frozen, so I may skip straight to an alignment shop.

·
Registered
2003 l322 td6
26 Posts
Aaron, no luck with the reverse suggestion, it continues to trigger the lights. The troubleshooting you did for yours is nothing short of epic, congrats.

SSteve, I think you're onto something. While the steering wheel is generally straight, both front tires seem out of true. One has a slight off-center angle (+/- 5 degrees), while the other one (the one with the new axl/CV) almost seems to protrude from the wheel well too much - almost as if there were spacers on the hub. The tracking rod ends (tie-rods over here) adjustment nut is very much frozen, so I may skip straight to an alignment shop.

·
Registered
2003 l322 td6
26 Posts
From what you’ve said about the position of the front wheels I’m pretty certain that’s the problem. I live in fairly rural France and I couldn’t find anyone to align the wheels so I had to improvise myself and it was pretty straightforward once I soaked the tie rods in releasing oil. Good luck !

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Wheelblur, Have had similar problem. New after market sensors some are manufactured incorrectly ie they are mixed up some report wheel direction clockwise and some anti clockwise. Green coded sensors are electronically different from blue ones. You can swap front sensors for rear but you will have to make a "new" harness for them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts