RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just bought my 02' HSE about a month ago. Drove it 3000 miles home in three days without so much as an inkling of a problem. Then the overheating began. Replaced the expansion cap which was only 6000 miles old from a heater core job. No overheating for two days then it started again. Replaced the thermostat, no problems for over a week and today she went again. If I let it sit fifteen minutes then the temp returns to normal and I can drive it about a mile when it'll suddenly spike into the red again. Right before I replaced the thermostat it would overheat on me and just as it was about to peak at the top of the red it would drop back to normal and then spike then drop again and repeat that process till it stayed red and boiled over. I'm not leaking fluid anywhere, and there aren't any strange sounds coming from the water pump that I can tell, fan belt is in good shape and she's only got 70k miles so radiator should be good and when I replaced the thermostat I checked the lines and there was no sign of buildup or blockage. I'm about to soak her in gas and torch her. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
before you go to pound me in the butt prison for insurance fraud, search how to burp your truck. There's most likely an air lock in there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought about the air lock but it's been running fine for a week. Shouldn't there have been a problem sooner if there was an air issue?

Dennis- Glad it sounds familiar not sure what a slipped liner is. Would prefer not to read my entire RAVE disc. Where do I find out how to fix and or replace a liner problem?

·
Registered
701 Posts
I thought about the air lock but it's been running fine for a week. Shouldn't there have been a problem sooner if there was an air issue?

Dennis- Glad it sounds familiar not sure what a slipped liner is. Would prefer not to read my entire RAVE disc. Where do I find out how to fix and or replace a liner problem?
A slipped liner renders the engine... ruined lol. So to fix the problem, you will need the engine completely rebuilt or, replace it.

·
Registered
210 Posts
If the liner has slipped you should hear it tapping once warm.

It doesn't sound like a slipped liner to me, I would expect coolant loss, possible difficulty starting and steam on startup.

Sounds more likely to be an airlock - although that generally expands forcing coolant out of the overflow, then when you cool down you've not got as much coolant etc.

If you're not losing coolant at all then I'd be looking at a blocked rad.

·
Registered
701 Posts
If the liner has slipped, you will also get very low if any compression in the particular cylinder. I've never heard a liner tap before, I suppose it is entirely possible. However, I know my liners are fine and my rangie loves to do a tap dance when warm lol. I recently looked at a 2001 Disco that had a slipped liner. In the Disco's case, the coolant was gross looking and there was a misfire in cylinder no. 5 (usual place for a slipped liner). It doesn't take much to slip a liner on these rigs, so monitor the engine temp with a scan gauge like a hawk(the car's gauge is almost useless) and burp the engine asap.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All right well I'll try burping it and see if that makes a difference. Glad I didn't pay a Loy for the truck but it's starting to make me miss my disco. Never had issues with it.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
2,064 Posts
I have a motor for sale 4.0 60k mile on it!

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
258 Posts
Hey Folks, whats burping and how do u go about doing the burping.
I have a 1996 model and in heavy traffic meter goes to the middle and stays there and goes back down to the blue zone when i start moving on a fast lane, is it ok to do that.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Hey Folks, whats burping and how do u go about doing the burping.
I have a 1996 model and in heavy traffic meter goes to the middle and stays there and goes back down to the blue zone when i start moving on a fast lane, is it ok to do that.
Probably your thermostat. Its not good for the engine to go from hot to cold like that constantly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts