RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an ‘05 full size and used the Yakima landing pads. I think they were number 11. Each bolted to the roof via the factory mounting nuts. Two bolts per pad. When not in use, there were plastic doors or covers that protected the roof nuts.
On my 2010 there are factory rails (front to rear) I removed one to find that there is only one nut per opening. Trying to figure how to integrate the Yakima system here. And what is available to close/seal the two Unused openings.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
323 Posts
Have you thought of perhaps just trying to find some Land Rover cross bars for your already in place rails? As it is kind of nice to be able to slide the cross bars to different positions for different needs.

·
Registered
323 Posts
If you mount 2x Yakima cross bars onto, say the rear, the front openings will need to be plugged with setscrews (and thread sealer), then maybe you can make some fake filler panels to glue into the rectangular openings? When side rails are mounted the flaps are cut off. That's why I thought it might be easier to mount LR cross bars onto your rails.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just realized it's only a single bolt per opening. As my '05 was. For some reason I thought it was two per opening. Yakima landing pad #11 is the one that fits. Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you mount 2x Yakima cross bars onto, say the rear, the front openings will need to be plugged with setscrews (and thread sealer), then maybe you can make some fake filler panels to glue into the rectangular openings? When side rails are mounted the flaps are cut off. That's why I thought it might be easier to mount LR cross bars onto your rails.
Yes, I'll make my own covers. Probably a thin aluminum plate I can cut. I had all of the components so I didn't want to have to buy a new set up. The car only came with the front to rear rails. I have many attachments set up for the Yakima system and didn't want to switch. Thank you.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Yes - those rails are "interesting" in that only the LR crossbars will fit. My LR3 had OEM t-slot rails and would fit Yakima, Thule, Rhino etc. etc. directly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts