RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to remove my Y-pipe in my 95 classic. Are the nuts different sizes. Two were 1/2 inch, but one is smaller on both sides. Can't seem to get the right size socket on it. Also, is getting the y-pipe off a PITA? Not going very smoothly for me. Any tips?
Thanks.

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts
The stud kit is the same from 87- 95, and 94-04 for Discos and then the Defenders as well. Most likely someone had a leaky gasket and buggered up the factory studs and nuts. In desperation they may have just installed what ever was handy or available at OReilly's. The nuts should be 13mm... very close to half inch. If you have a worn out 12mm socket you try to get that on there.

I've replaced a few Classic manifolds. I takes lots of penetrating oil, plenty of "Freeze Off" spray and lots of your fav beverage. The Y pipe studs and nuts get hot and are subjected to road spray in wet weather... not a good combination. I had one that was pure misery. I air chiseled the nuts off and ordered a new stud kit. I have a couple of stud extractors so removing the old studs was no issue once the tension was off of them.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I'll keep plugging away.

·
Registered
64 Posts
A cutting torch is your best friend for any exhaust bolts/nuts. Heat them up to a nice bright orange and they'll turn off with no effort if you have them hot enough.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
if by any chance those studs happen to break, you have a few choices in repairs.
1- new manifolds and studs. the easiest and possible more expensive way out.
2- take new studs and manifolds to machine shop let them remove and install.
3- drill out broken studs at home, use 8mmby 1.25 helicoil inserts and done, (if you have a set up and are comfortable performing task).

if the studs break, either way you decide to go the manifold(s) with the broken stud(s) will need to be removed for easier repair.
best of luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts