RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Living in the Big Apple , New York City you get your fair share of door dings and bumpers scuff from Parking garages and careless/inexperience parallel parking drivers. So was wondering if it is worth getting the xpel wrap for the 2015 new car?

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just got the car back has the expel with Opticoat pro wrap. Loire blue. They did a great job. image.jpg image.jpg

·
Registered
342 Posts
Opel is great but I'm getting the new 3M Pro installed tomorrow on the Z06 to protect her at the track. 3M has resolved the previous version's yellowing issue (7yr warranty as well) and it's about 1/3 cheaper than the Xpel. I saw a red 4C the other day half wrapped in it and you couldn't tell the difference tween the wrapped and unwrapped sections. For anyone else looking to do this keep in mind that at least 90% of how it turns out is dictated by the skill of the installer rather than the wrap itself.

--------------------

ETA: Joe that looks fantastic!

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Opel is great but I'm getting the new 3M Pro installed tomorrow on the Z06 to protect her at the track. 3M has resolved the previous version's yellowing issue (7yr warranty as well) and it's about 1/3 cheaper than the Xpel. I saw a red 4C the other day half wrapped in it and you couldn't tell the difference tween the wrapped and unwrapped sections. For anyone else looking to do this keep in mind that at least 90% of how it turns out is dictated by the skill of the installer rather than the wrap itself.

--------------------

ETA: Joe that looks fantastic!
Thanks. I had the Xpel ultimate then the opti coat pro put on top of it. Perhaps a bit overkill. But NYC valets and streets as well as the weather are harsh on the car. Also it's self healing against swirls, etc.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Thanks. I had the Xpel ultimate then the opti coat pro put on top of it. Perhaps a bit overkill. But NYC valets and streets as well as the weather are harsh on the car. Also it's self healing against swirls, etc.
I lived in NYC half of my life (still have an apt. there) so I hear you ... it's a good move and certainly more dignified than driving around with those plastic flaps hanging out. :)

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
Joe, that looks really good. Don't think I have seen a Loire Blue in person.

People complain about driving in LA, but driving in NYC when you are a new driver really prepares you for anything you could ever encounter out there `). I'll take LA traffic on open highways any day, over being stuck for hours trying to get through the Lincoln Tunnel. The good old days before navigation, traffic updates and cell phones ... you were truly stuck!

Never got a chance to do my xpel/opticoat with all the service issues ... I'm afraid to spend the money at the moment and then have the RR turn out to be a complete dud.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks. They did a great job. Also had the opti glass done. I had the whole car done including rocker panels, doors and rear panels. The Loire blue seems to changes color at night. Agree you should not spend the monies in wrapping the car. Even if you did, they would have to replace the car to the same specs and reimburse you

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
Is your interior Almond or Tan? Did you consider any leather protection treatment?

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is your interior Almond or Tan? Did you consider any leather protection treatment?
The interior is Almond with espresso. Based on my prior and present car ownership, I didn't feel it was worth getting the interior leather treatment.
Agree, you should wait for any wrap on your car. I was also told no washing for two weeks as the wrap fully agreed to the car. Also no circular drills when detailing. No need to wax either. The water will bead right off too. Also had the opticoat pro added to the wheels.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Living in the Big Apple , New York City you get your fair share of door dings and bumpers scuff from Parking garages and careless/inexperience parallel parking drivers. So was wondering if it is worth getting the xpel wrap for the 2015 new car?
1/2 wrap on a BMW and it has been great. However, it looks better on lighter cars. Also, it's not really going to stop dings and dents, especially not the kind in NYC. You're better off with a bumper bully for the back end and a BumpShox on the front. It's ugly, I know, but it's the lesser of 2 evils.
DSC_0374.JPG

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
1/2 wrap on a BMW and it has been great. However, it looks better on lighter cars. Also, it's not really going to stop dings and dents, especially not the kind in NYC. You're better off with a bumper bully for the back end and a BumpShox on the front. It's ugly, I know, but it's the lesser of 2 evils.
View attachment 125306
they do paint correction to bring out the color and then the wrap. Actually you do want it on a darker color as swirls and light scratches show up in dark colors. The opticoat pro on top of the expel adds the brilliance and it cures itself from light scratches. It's the scuff also I want to protect against. Dings and dents won't protect. But you watch where you park and pay the attendant a few bucks to keep the car in the front. But for scuff , even car washes swirls and harsh weather then the wrap is the protection. You don't need to wax as much , the brilliance holds longer.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
1,986 Posts
The xpel is just for the front right? Do you also do a whole body wrap? Would a PDR be doable with the wrap on it?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The xpel is just for the front right? Do you also do a whole body wrap? Would a PDR be doable with the wrap on it?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Actually , I had the whole car wrapped except the rear hatch. So basically the whole car. I had expel put on first for its strength then opticoat ultimate over it. Basically Xpel says not to put opticoat under it for best adhesion. If you put opticoat over xpel you still get all the protection of the film as well as the water beading and dirt repelling of the opticoat pro on both the film and the non filmed panels. The car still has its shine even in the rain.The rain beads off. Also had the Rims done and Opti glass on the windows and panoramic roof. This would summarize the reason:Xpel says not to put opticoat under it for best adhesion. If you put opticoat over xpel you still get all the protection of the film as well as the water beading and dirt repelling of the opticoat on both the film and the non filmed panels. Also its self healing properties help against those car wash swirl marks. I go to a hand wash place too.
Opticoat
- chemical barrier but more permanent
- protects against chemical agents such as acid rain, bird droppings, salt
- also a good barrier against dirt so washing is easier
- not every effective against solid objects since it's still a very thin layer
- paint correction usually needs to be done before OptiCoat is applied so that any blemishes/swirls are not "locked into" the paint (which typically adds $400-600 dollars to the cost)

PPF
- good against physical barrier but obviously still penetrable
- obviously keeps caustic substances away from your paint
- hides blemishes very well so no paint correction needs to be done

It makes no sense to apply PPF over Opticoat because once you do that, you've lost any protective properties of Opticoat. If you're going to do both, do the PPF first and then the OptiCoat. PPF does cost more than OptiCoat but again, it all depends on what you're trying to protect. OptiCoat won't protect much from gravel, door dings, whereas PPF will.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
1,986 Posts
Actually , I had the whole car wrapped except the rear hatch. So basically the whole car. I had expel put on first for its strength then opticoat ultimate over it. Basically Xpel says not to put opticoat under it for best adhesion. If you put opticoat over xpel you still get all the protection of the film as well as the water beading and dirt repelling of the opticoat pro on both the film and the non filmed panels. The car still has its shine even in the rain.The rain beads off. Also had the Rims done and Opti glass on the windows and panoramic roof. This would summarize the reason:Xpel says not to put opticoat under it for best adhesion. If you put opticoat over xpel you still get all the protection of the film as well as the water beading and dirt repelling of the opticoat on both the film and the non filmed panels. Also its self healing properties help against those car wash swirl marks. I go to a hand wash place too.
Opticoat
- chemical barrier but more permanent
- protects against chemical agents such as acid rain, bird droppings, salt
- also a good barrier against dirt so washing is easier
- not every effective against solid objects since it's still a very thin layer
- paint correction usually needs to be done before OptiCoat is applied so that any blemishes/swirls are not "locked into" the paint (which typically adds $400-600 dollars to the cost)

PPF
- good against physical barrier but obviously still penetrable
- obviously keeps caustic substances away from your paint
- hides blemishes very well so no paint correction needs to be done

It makes no sense to apply PPF over Opticoat because once you do that, you've lost any protective properties of Opticoat. If you're going to do both, do the PPF first and then the OptiCoat. PPF does cost more than OptiCoat but again, it all depends on what you're trying to protect. OptiCoat won't protect much from gravel, door dings, whereas PPF will.
thanks! I'll try to look for local PPF or opticoat installers. I got my xpel ultimate already.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts