RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just joined forum, and have been reading some posts mostly by antics22 on the subject of larger wheel fitment,
I ordered my RRS on 2nd August and still waiiting, its been a long haul and my paitence is fast running out although dealer says it should arrive next week, so if you see Santa Claus flying by in a Cairns Blue RRS hands off its mine.
Anyway about these awful wheels on the diesel, this is where the dealer and i really do not agree he seems to think they are nice (although he is paid to think this) I would like to change the wheels and i know alot of people are sitting on the fence waiting to see what happens with warranty issues
etc. But there must be suitable wheels out their, anybody have pictures of a cairns blue RRS with privact glass and a set of decent wheels, also i know a mechanic from Edinburgh who works on them trying to get in contact to see if has had any problems, although i hope RRs owners would be smart enough to put factory wheel on before taking car to back to dealer. check out http://www.racinggreencars.com they have a nice modified RRS,

·
Registered
40 Posts
scott - my RRS is the blue color you speak of, but I still have the standard 19" wheels on the vehicle. I can post/send pics, but like i said...still has original 19s on it. I am bringing it by the dealership tomorrow for running board installation and I will press them on the increased tire size issue as I would love to move up to 20s if not 22s. Let me know if you would like me to send you some pics.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Hi Scott!

It really depends on what you are trying to accomplish with the wheels, whether its just for looks, etc. Being in Scottland, (and I apologize in advance for my ignorance), If you see quite a bit of offroading, you might want to stick with the stock wheels/tires, or upgrade to HSE 19"s.

Most of my driving here in Los Angeles, CA occurs on pavement and I rarely get to see any 4x4'ing or off-roading except for the frequent roadwork and pot-holes...

Dealers will always outright tell you that they do not recommend anything out of the factory specs when it comes to wheel upgrades, but this is not LAND ROVER specific. BMW does the same, HONDA does the same... The reason why is because they do not want any liabilities involved with changing anything from OEM spec on the vehicles for the purpose of warranty claims, etc. Especially with all of the factors that could contribute to issues such as vibrations, etc...

(BTW the trick to get past that is to keep the original parts in case you have to pay the dealer a visit...)

On the subject of wheels, make sure you do your homework and dont just go for wheels by looks and size... I can't stress this enough!

Instead, find out how much they weight, how they are constructed (there IS a big difference), and what kind of issues to anticipate by going larger/etc.

after 2 months on my 22" wheels, I stand by my original post that the vehicle still rides good, no issues with vibrations, etc...

my tire profile is just high enough where I can still get great performance in wet / icy conditions... ( I do some skiing locally here on man-made snow) and in dry, my RRS handles great...

Again, best description for my setup is: SPORTS SUSPENSION vs NON-SPORTS SUSPENSION ON A BMW.

I am willing to bet (havent tried) that my cars ride quality is probably just the same as the RRS SC (firmer ride, but not harsh at all!)

Good luck and hopefully Santa will be nice to you this year!

cheers!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:lol: Pictures would be good, when I spec'd colour, everyone was pushing me towards the java black and it looks fantastic but we do not see much sunshine here, trying to keep it clean would be a full time job, so I opted for the cairns blue. As to the wheels main reason is looks, i would not really be doing any off roading although with the conditions of our roads every day is an offroading day. I have not spent much time looking to see what wheels are available over here but have looked into the chip foose wheels web, he has some nice wheels. Our main problem is the weather, nice shiney chrome wheels would be high maintanence, and i am not really into that, i need somthing that looks good but low maintanence. any good websites that i should be looking at.
thanks, scott

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pictures of your car are the buisness wheels look fab on her, Found HRE alloys.
Are they an American company. Went into the wheelspreformance.com website and liked the following HRE wheels
HRE 648R 22". Are the studs on the wheels for decoration or do they have a purpose. I had an audi coupe once which had studs that were only decorative, after one winter the "studs"which were just glued on started to fall off are these real studs. Do they have a main web site if so i will see if they as a company have any dealers in the uk, I have a picture of cairns blue from web but ignorance is winning over my technological abillity, with i will have mastered for my car arriving, ( still no call from dealer) that said by the time my RRS arrives i could be Bill Gates best friend and living in Seattle, on looking at photos of cairns blue side on the transition from privacy glass to front door glass (normal clear) looks not quite right, the picture was not that good but i think i might get a slight tint on the front side windows, on the black car it looks ok but on the blue car the change from black to clear is very noticable, what do you think? Well time for home, work over till monday,its now friday 6.45 pm.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Scott,

the studs are there for a purpose... You can get the wheels in 2-piece or 3-piece... the benefit to this type of construction is that the wheels can be lighter and in the event you have a mishap and "curb" one, you can simply have the wheel manuf replace just the outer portion of the rim... those "rivets" hold the center of the wheel together with the outer "rim".

for more information on these wheels, visit the manufacturer's website for dealer locations, etc..

http://www.hrewheels.com/home/

or

http://www.iforged.com

The 648R wheels that you mentioned are 3-piece... the way that works is, youve got the rim portion, the center, and an additional ring in the rear... center and ring "sandwitch" the rim and everything is bolted and torqued together...

If I had a 2nd choice of wheels for my RRS... I would have gone with HRE 948R... Those look SOOO GOOD!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sorry it took so long to answer back but just released from hospital, was rushed their when i got price for HRE alloys 948R
4 off polished complete with tyres from distributer in England
$ 12,691 USD
what price would you expect to pay over in US

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jeffrey if you want to go to last chance canyon stock wheels will be fine, but for cruzin santa monica boulavard ( no idea if you would want to, but sheryl crow made it sound like you would) you need a set of 22" polished rims, if everybody had same cars, same wheels, same colour, it would be a boring old world, if you look at page 2 of forum antics has a post that shows pics of stock wheels next to new alloys, I would pick new alloy every time unless of course you want to go off roading, the stock wheels i have no doubt work well suit the car etc etc, but personally I just dont like the idea of being told I cannot change and must run stock wheels( by dealer), and I am sure when antics gets up to 6 months trouble free running with his new wheels their will be alot more RRS owners putting 22s on their own vehicles.
I have been through the mill with landrover having had landy 90s, 110s,
1 RR classic 3.9 EFi , 1 RR classic with italian vm diesel, 1 RR classic 300TDI
Discovery 300TDI, all which were stock vehicles and i never wanted to modify, although they were never out of dealers workshops for long enough to get the chance.
Jeffrey like your pics, favorite American classics ' a wicked western sky'
the Yosimite range looks fantastic, we have some great scenery up the west coast from Oban to and beyond Ullapool, I am sure Tim another RRS owner will agree.
Dealers such a bad word at moment ,
I am now at end of 19th week still waiting on delivery, in the 19 weeks I have only had one phone call from dealer and the only reason i got the call was because he needed to make December figures up and could he invoice the vehicle, looks like it will be 2006 before i get car.
Also to antics HRE dealer in london will discount wheels from original costs so its between 648R or 948R polished finnish delivery about 7/8 weeks, thank for the link to HRE from me, my wife on seeing the bill has a diffrent opinion of you.
to anyone in the UK, is 19/20 weeks the norm for a vehicle ordered in August, i complained after 13 weeks the dealer said well their is a big waiting list and it would be worth wait, i would like an indication of time owners have had to wait.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
HOLD THE PRESSES DEALER JUST OFF PHONE THE GOOD NEWS
MY RANGE ROVER SPORT HAS ARRIVED :lol: AT DEALER 20 WEEKS AND 2 DAYS FROM DATE OF ORDER, THE BAD NEWS :cry: THEY WONT HAVE IT READY BECAUSE OF THE HOLIDAYS SOMEBODY CANCEL CHRISTMAS. :evil: SO I HAVE ANOTHER 6 LONG LONG DAYS TO WAIT, BRINGING DELIVERY UP TO A GRAND TOTAL OF 21 WEEKS AND 1 DAY,
i DO HOPE ITS WORTH THE WAIT. :?:

·
Registered
485 Posts
Thanks for the comments, Scott. And good for you! Those last days of waiting must be painful.

I'm waiting for my dealer to locate a model with rear diff lock in the color I want. Who knows how long that will take or if it will ever exist. Yes, I do go off-road, so all this talk of bigger skinnier wheels and tires is for you guys only. Give me more rubber!!!

·
Registered
385 Posts
scott said:
sorry it took so long to answer back but just released from hospital, was rushed their when i got price for HRE alloys 948R
4 off polished complete with tyres from distributer in England
$ 12,691 USD
what price would you expect to pay over in US
Scott,
While HRE wheels are high end, I can not imagine that there is any way that each wheel could cost more than $1500-$2000. Even with S/H you surely could get these for approximately 1/2 of what you were quoted.
Try a http://www.google.com search for HRE alloys 948R
This will take you to a US search but you could then call and get some quotes from here, where you will save substantial money even with S/H.
Bish

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the wheel man came back and told me that over in UK the only people who buy usually buy HRE 948R are footballers and pop stars, the 648R range are slightly cheaper option.

The wheel man came back with another price these prices are before tax
which is 17.5% for 4 wheels and tyres

648R - £ 4639 GBP
948R - £ 5815 GBP
both have deliver cost of £59.57 GBP
but you have to remember we are paying a lot more for vehicles as well
mine RRS HSE with extras £46,704.00 GBP if its of intrest to anyone i can post my invoice.I think our exchange is £1.00 GBP buys $1.69 USD

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the wheel man came back and told me that over in UK the only people who buy usually buy HRE 948R are footballers and pop stars, the 648R range are slightly cheaper option.

The wheel man came back with another price these prices are before tax
which is 17.5% for 4 wheels and tyres

648R - £ 4639 GBP
948R - £ 5815 GBP
both have delivery costs of £59.57 GBP
Also our vehicles are slightly more expensive my RRS HSE with extras cost £ 47,704.00 GBP at an exchange of £ 1.00 GBP buys $ 1.69 USD
and $1.00 USD buys £ 0.65 pence approx not sure if dollar to pound rate is accurate. my vehicle yould have cost $ 73,236 USD.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts