RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would love to get some feedback from you guys based on these pictures and wether or not I should do a tear down and if so, what to look for as far has the heads and the block is concerned, is anything salvageable?

When I bought the truck before replacing the engine it ran smooth, the smell of coolant in tailpipe was strong, it would only run for a few minutes before the temp gauge would start rising (I have a gut feeling it wasn’t bled properly) and it leaked oil from between the head and block on one side.

if you look at the below pics the PO has the front half of the heat shield wedged in between the block and head on both sides, when everything was put back together it looks like the PO put head sealant through the system you can see where it was oozing out between the heads and block.

how can I check if the heads are good? Would I need to take it to a shop? What about the block?

I have a good running RR right now, I don’t want to put any money into what might be a salvage engine but if I can tell what if anything is damaged I can junk it or rebuild it and sell it. Or part out the heads etc.

·
Registered
13 Posts
That's so strange that part of the exhaust gasket/heat shield is stuck or wedge in between the head and block. I think a leak down test would just tell you that you have a leak. I think the only way to know if it's okay or not is to pull one head off and check it for flatness. My 5.0 warped both heads when it got hot due to water leakage at the plastic pipes around the intake manifold, so with that head gasket leakage there could be trouble.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
380 Posts
That’s not first time I’ve seen a piece of the heat shield become trapped and tightened down (unseen/unnoticed) during the rebuild process.

When you separate the head from the block there will be imprinted marring on both surfaces which are unlikely to be corrected through simple milling.

I have seen the successful use of a metallic “filler” to build up a small void caused by such an imprint but you won’t know what it looks like on your referenced motor until you pull the head(s).

Rob

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
204 Posts
That’s not first time I’ve seen a piece of the heat shield become trapped and tightened down (unseen/unnoticed) during the rebuild process.
Wow! That's good info to keep in mind. Talk about annoying to make such mistake and as a result, further damage the mating surfaces and have to redo it all over again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts