RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wtf engine pooped out on me & "reduced performance" warning

Does anyone know what this is? Or has this happened to anyone? I am driving home all of the sudden I have no power from the engine, i floor the pedal and it doesn't go anywhere... no power whatsoever beside a 5 mph cruise... i stop the car, turn it off and on... then put it in first gear and try it then and still no good, no power juts about 5mph cruise... on the dash it said "reduced engine performance" as a warning message and it has yet to come off. This was right around the corner of my house, and it was a slight incline, When it got flat it would moderately accelerate id say about 80% of the performance was gone. Again "reduced engine performance" is on my dash screen...

Anyone know what this is? I hate land rover roadside assistance, i spend 10 mins answering 20 questions from an automated service and finally speak to some dude that says we don't offer any technical service we just call the tow companies... WTF!!!!

sorry i am a little aggravated right now and worried that I might have to make a trip to the dealer (aka 5 days without my car because my dealer sucks)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: wtf engine pooped out on me & "reduced performance" warning

thank you for the link... it doesnt look like a big problem, but unfortunately it looks like a problem that reoccurs after its temporarily fixed at the dealer.... SUCKS!

knowing the dealer over here, I won't see the car for days, even if it is just a simply sensor that is causing the problem. I wonder which of my mods I will have to take off of the car so that they don't give me ****

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts

I had the same issue once a couple of years ago, as I was driving up to the local mountains (to join a group or RRS owners, no less!) at very "spirited" speeds the engine suddenly crapped out on me - or almost so - and I was able to coast to a stop at very low speed, "Reduced Engine performance" displayed on my dash. Pulled over to the side, turned off the engine, waited about 3 minutes for the electronics to shut down, restarted. The message was gone, the car ran fine all day and I never had the issue again. I hope it's the same one-off gremlin for you. I never bothered investigating the matter further with my dealer since it never reoccurred. I just assumed the sudden change in altitude and air pressure had somehow tricked the MAF sensor into thinking something was wrong with the air intake... But who knows. Keep us posted.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

thank you buddy for the info... you know I have actually been hesitant to drive it since it happened. I will take it out later for a spin and see if its gone. I tried 30 minutes later last night and it showed same warning but the power "seemed" to be back... WEIRD! i really hope its like your situation, but either way I am overdue for service #1 :shhh:

·
Registered
485 Posts

wtf wtf wtf, Dude, probably the truck reached it's maximum pimp level and was trying to tell you something like 'show me some dirt'!!!

Maybe your suspension went out. I've heard of that.....

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts

umbertob said:
I had the same issue once a couple of years ago, as I was driving up to the local mountains (to join a group or RRS owners, no less!) at very "spirited" speeds the engine suddenly crapped out on me - or almost so - and I was able to coast to a stop at very low speed, "Reduced Engine performance" displayed on my dash.
Same thing happened to me Sunday. 80MPH up that steep grade on I-10 East from Palm Spings to BFE. I hope it's the first and last time for me, too. Stupid electronics... :?

·
Registered
100 Posts

I had the same thing happen to me and I couldn't get past 55 mph on the flat roads....the hills ate me up and I didn't think we'd make it up hill.
I pulled over, shut the car off and let it sit for a few minutes and then it was gone when I restarted it. It did it again the next day, so I went to the dealer. It was actually a bad fuel pump sensor for the supercharger. So, since it's persistent, I would say take it in. It's a pain in the arse, but so is driving a 420hp car that putts along like it's powered by gerbils.
Good luck and keep us posted.
L

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,454 Posts

Another simple DIY process you can try before taking it into the dealer:

Check the air filter for significant dust buildup, if you don't have a spare, at least bang it out so that the dust is removed, and also the MAF sensor, remove it and clean gently...that has helped clear the REP warning on occasion.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,454 Posts

Drevs said:
PJPR01 said:
Check the air filter for significant dust buildup
Is that located near the 710 cap?
Only on Vesuvius models, in between the flux capacitor and vortex thrust Warp Factor 5 Mr. Scotty nuclear reactor!

I'm not sure where it is on all the other models...

:D

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts

I wonder if the "reduced engine performance" warning also pops up when modders make dubious performance enhancements to their engines such as....oh, I'd better not go there I think. :hand:

·
Registered
489 Posts

Actually theres a special light called "enhanced engine performance" that comes up when you mod. When you go all out theres another one that pops up that says "ladies drop your panties mode" but i still havent gotten it to come up. It dont even work with the wife so im gonna have to try doing something else.

·
Registered
199 Posts

jbrac25 said:
Actually theres a special light called "enhanced engine performance" that comes up when you mod. When you go all out theres another one that pops up that says "ladies drop your panties mode" but i still havent gotten it to come up. It dont even work with the wife so im gonna have to try doing something else.
Mine popped up when I added the piano black trim.... I think all you gotta do is add that white stripe on your wheels. I've heard adding an intake can get you over the hump too.

·
Registered
489 Posts

Good then it should be any day now, thanks for the tip eric.

·
Registered
385 Posts

Had that happen last week, inside the Gotthard tunnel, went into "reduced performance", max 80 Km/h, which luckily is the speed limit, when outside I stopped, shut down and restarted and no more problems. I suspect might have been the jump in outside temp, gone from 5 C outside the tunnel to 30 C inside in just couple of miles

1 - 17 of 17 Posts