RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
after 15 years Discovery I, I am now a proud owner of a P 38.
The previous owner had the Range serviced al the time at an official Land Rover dealer. Last service he had all oils changed and instead of ATF he filled in normal gearbox oil into the transfer case. The Range has since than 10000 km on the highway ( no off road ) done. Does the wrong oil could damage the transfercase? Or just changing the oil.

Frank

·
Registered
897 Posts
LRDisco said:
Hi,
after 15 years Discovery I, I am now a proud owner of a P 38.
The previous owner had the Range serviced al the time at an official Land Rover dealer. Last service he had all oils changed and instead of ATF he filled in normal gearbox oil into the transfer case. The Range has since than 10000 km on the highway ( no off road ) done. Does the wrong oil could damage the transfercase? Or just changing the oil.

Frank
Welcome to P38 ownership. I hope you like more than your Disco. I almost bought a Disco, but an very happy I stepped up to the Range Rover. They have some of the same issues as the Disco along with a few items that take special care (BeCM/EAS). Overall, I like the interior and exterior styling better and the RR rides beautifully.

Hopefully, your transfer case will be working fine with the correct fluid. Good news, I found used transfer cases in Sacramento at Parts Planet for $400 with warranty if yours goes south. Some people have had chain slack and I thought I might be going down the same road. It seems fine now though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
At the moment the transferbox is working well. Thanx for the information. I will keep it in mind.
I still love my Disco. I just sold it because of the emision here in Germany. I was not allowed to drive into the city and the tax for old Diesel cars is terrible high. With the V8 i can drive everywhere.

Frank

1 - 5 of 5 Posts