Range Rovers Forum banner

Wrap, Dip, or Clearbra

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  vaserRRS 
#1 ·
Wrap, Dip, or Clearbra on a new RRS?

I am speaking with dealer about getting one of these three, but there is little information on how to choose between them.

Others on this board have suggested wraps on the pillars. (The dealer said that I would be the first that did this)

Others on this board have suggested clearbra on the rocker pannels. (The dealer again said that I would be the first)

I am contemplating a two-tone hood treatment either as a wrap or dip. This still leaves a lot to be exposed for rock chips.

What about the roof? Dip or Wrap?

The car is dark blue with a lot of black bits.

#2 ·
I had the clear-bra on my Mini Cooper S and was really impressed with how well it protected the paint. It covered the entire front clip and half way up the hood which also serves as the front fenders. The bra was marred in several places due to rocks but it never damaged the paint.

#3 ·
I had clear bra applied to front, goes about a 1/4 on the hood, all the black plastic in front excluding the grill, and the beginning of the front fender where it starts to flair out. I also had backs of mirrors covered, along with door handle coves, and the black plastic pillars. I didn't have roof, or black plastic part of the rear of the roof, or the rocker panels done. As a free-bee dealer did paint sealant after clear bra was applied. Dealer didn't apply clear bra as it doesn't have that capability.

#4 ·
My plan is to have Xpel Ultimate installed as soon as I take delivery of the vehicle. The guy's shop is down the street from the LR dealer.

Xpel's website has prices and photos of their various kits, I was going to do full hood, fenders, front bumper, side mirrors, door cups, and A-pillar and front of the roof. Still undecided on rocker panels as I will be getting mud flaps but no side steps.

Will then do Opti-coat for the entire car within the first month or so.

I have a 3M clear bra on my current vehicle after it had already gotten a few rock chips. Protected the vehicle well over the years.

#6 ·
Orwell you would not be the first in any of this. I had all those done on my 2014.5 RRS, skipped the rocker panels on the 2015.5, but have everything else done once again, so only thing I'd say is not really necessary is the rocker panels. It's added protection no doubt, but in my case I felt no one will really notice the damage on the rockers if there is any

#8 ·
For good coverage I would do full front, part or all of the side fender (can go all the way to edge of front door or stop halfway through wheel well), side mirrors, and front part of roof (although sounds like you are going to cover all of the roof). You can also include the A pillars.

I would wrap the roof over dipping it.

#9 ·
If you don't want to spend too much just do front bumper mirrors and impact then opticoat the whole thing. That's what I did this time around. Last time I even did the rockers, but what I discovered is all impact really goes under the rocker bulge. Also the RRS is high and tall so there won't be much pitting beyond bumper and front of hood ( much much less likely). My expirience with my BMW 335 confirms this. My BMW was getting hood front pitted so I had that done for 16 inch and was fine. RRS will be fine without doing the hood. But if you want total peace of mind you can do more extensive coverage. If you are prone to kneeing the trunk open button while climbing in or out, cover the lower edge of the trunk door. I had it covered with 3M wrap for an inch on inside and ouside edge. On my 2014.5 car I was parked next to wall rear in. Hit the button by accident getting in, the trunk opened jamming itself into the concrete wall. Paint came off completely exposing the shiny aluminum beneath. I was quoted $500 and just did the touch up paint myself.

On the new car I had the door button accidentally kneed. Then I had the DSS installed. Nice side effect is accidental opening after kneeing the button has not happened again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.