RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried to set an appt with the service advisor about the airbag cover and steering wheel. He said "they are all like that" and that they would not replace the cover or the wheel. Truck is still under factory warranty. Should I hit up another dealer? Kind of pissed off about this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
I would contact Land Rover USA. My dealer, which is not the best in the world, replaced without any questions. Your dealer is right, they are all like that and that is why LAnd Rover is replacing. It's defective.
 

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
Joined
·
11,013 Posts
Go back to the dealer with a copy of the pertinent TSB. If he is an a-hole he will try to argue that the warranty on trim and stuff like that is only 12-mo / 12k miles... But I think he will replace it once he sees - in writing - that Land Rover will reimburse him for this through the factory warranty.

Worn leather on the steering wheel, on the other hand, is more of a gray area. They could replace the wheel under warranty if they were a nice dealer, but they really don't have to as that may be considered "normal" wear-and-tear by LRNA and the dealer may not get paid for the replacement part when they put their claim in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
umbertob said:
Go back to the dealer with a copy of the pertinent TSB. If he is an a-hole he will try to argue that the warranty on trim and stuff like that is only 12-mo / 12k miles... But I think he will replace it once he sees - in writing - that Land Rover will reimburse him for this through the factory warranty.

Worn leather on the steering wheel, on the other hand, is more of a gray area. They could replace the wheel under warranty if they were a nice dealer, but they really don't have to as that may be considered "normal" wear-and-tear by LRNA and the dealer may not get paid for the replacement part when they put their claim in.
Thanks umberto I appreciate the TSB. I'm going swing by tomorrow and see what they say. Can they deny the TSB and say that LRNA won't reimburse them for it? And if they do, would I have a mind to bring it to another dealer?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DrewT55 said:
I would contact Land Rover USA. My dealer, which is not the best in the world, replaced without any questions. Your dealer is right, they are all like that and that is why LAnd Rover is replacing. It's defective.

Thanks Drew. I think I just have a jack ass service advisor.
 

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
Joined
·
11,013 Posts
Goinkin said:
umbertob said:
Go back to the dealer with a copy of the pertinent TSB. If he is an a-hole he will try to argue that the warranty on trim and stuff like that is only 12-mo / 12k miles... But I think he will replace it once he sees - in writing - that Land Rover will reimburse him for this through the factory warranty.

Worn leather on the steering wheel, on the other hand, is more of a gray area. They could replace the wheel under warranty if they were a nice dealer, but they really don't have to as that may be considered "normal" wear-and-tear by LRNA and the dealer may not get paid for the replacement part when they put their claim in.
Thanks umberto I appreciate the TSB. I'm going swing by tomorrow and see what they say. Can they deny the TSB and say that LRNA won't reimburse them for it? And if they do, would I have a mind to bring it to another dealer?
Yes and yes. But hopefully you won't have to.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
umbertob said:
Goinkin said:
umbertob said:
Go back to the dealer with a copy of the pertinent TSB. If he is an a-hole he will try to argue that the warranty on trim and stuff like that is only 12-mo / 12k miles... But I think he will replace it once he sees - in writing - that Land Rover will reimburse him for this through the factory warranty.

Worn leather on the steering wheel, on the other hand, is more of a gray area. They could replace the wheel under warranty if they were a nice dealer, but they really don't have to as that may be considered "normal" wear-and-tear by LRNA and the dealer may not get paid for the replacement part when they put their claim in.
Thanks umberto I appreciate the TSB. I'm going swing by tomorrow and see what they say. Can they deny the TSB and say that LRNA won't reimburse them for it? And if they do, would I have a mind to bring it to another dealer?
Yes and yes. But hopefully you won't have to.
8~
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
Could you take a picture of the peeling airbag cover? I think mine might be doing that and I thought maybe it was just like that naturally since I didn't pay attention to it when I first got the car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
SUPER MODERATOR
Joined
·
4,454 Posts
umbertob said:
Here is an old thread, I had taken pictures of mine, which has since gotten a little worse (not much, thank goodness)... viewtopic.php?f=5&t=16438 Never got mine replaced, by the time the TSB came out I was out of factory warranty.

I think some drivers might be subconsciously pulling on the tab if their hand rests in the middle of the steering wheel, and little by little it starts to peel off.

97K miles and no peeling on mine...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
Thanks for the link. Yep, I have the same problem too. It's amazing they haven't fixed this issue since you noticed it on your '06.

I'll try to take it in sometime...it seems that every time I go to the dealership, they find some way to make me pay for something.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,658 Posts
On my "peeling" air bag cover you could also clearly see the seams in the center bulging out. The new one was completely flat with no visible seams.

Post from the other thread:
Canuck RRS said:
mine didn't curl as bad on top but I noticed on the face of the airbag cover that the ribs were protruding through. It was almost like the wall on either side of the ribs were starting to "sink" (common in plastic molding when you have thick sections).

The SA of course denied it being a problem and then I told him to compare it to the other "Brand New" trucks in the show room and he promptly agreed to change it. Now the cover is a slightly lighter color than the rest of the plastic.

I don't think the top part curling would affect the airbag's operation as the airbag just has to be able to blow through the cover upon deployment. But then again, what the hell do I know, I'm not an airbag engineer. Try the stealership first, you never know what they will say....especially if you say you might buy a new truck.....hehhee..
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,136 Posts
make sure you ask for this while you're under the new car factory warranty. mine wasn't so bad at 50k and i'd waited until now, just before my extended expires, to ask for it. LR denied it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
152 Posts
Wow I can't believe some of you guys are having trouble getting the air bag cover and steering wheel replaced under warranty.
LandRover of Orlando replaced both parts for me with no questions asked. I would suggest going to another dealer or presenting the TSB
this forum is filled with TSB information that dealers dont want us to know. Remember KNOWLEDGE IS POWER :dance:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
That's crazy!!! I went to my Land Rover dealer about my air compressors and they changed the airbag cover without me even asking them. Go to another dealer ASAP.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
jp2time said:
That's crazy!!! I went to my Land Rover dealer about my air compressors and they changed the airbag cover without me even asking them. Go to another dealer ASAP.
Yeah, again, I honestly believe I had a jackass service advisor. I'm gonna give them another chance with the TSB and if they don't do it, I'll see if I can swing up to another LR dealer. Kinda sucks but you gotta do what you gotta do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
just dropped it off for my 45k service. i mentioned the airbag and a new one is on it's way! gonna have them throw on my new zebrano wood steering wheel at the same time to match the interior. 2 birds..... `)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
cameradude said:
just dropped it off for my 45k service. i mentioned the airbag and a new one is on it's way! gonna have them throw on my new zebrano wood steering wheel at the same time to match the interior. 2 birds..... `)
What is involved in a 45k service?
 
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Top