RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to purchase a used Range Rover (sub $40K), but have been scared away over the years because of a bad "reputation" that Range Rovers seem to have with dependability and repair costs. I have had a Lexus RX400H for several years now, it is very reliable and efficient (and pretty nice as well), but the styling does not compare with the Range Rover.

I do not go off roading . I have simply been a huge fan of Ranger Rover and Land Rover styling for several years. They really appeal to me.

Are the dependability issues really that bad? Are some models/years more reliable than others?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

John

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
1,382 Posts
Hmmm. I don't think anyone's ever asked this before...

Along with that care to narrow it down a bit or are just wanting something with a range rover emblem under 40k?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm. I don't think anyone's ever asked this before...

Along with that care to narrow it down a bit or are just wanting something with a range rover emblem under 40k?
I am researching the threads. Of course, the majority of the threads I am scrolling through are problems with range rovers.

Obviously I do not know enough about the range rover line up, hence my joining the Range Rover forums.

I don't want one for the "range rover emblem". Like many others have expressed on this forum, I have been attracted to the styling for years. I would just hate to get rid of a highly dependable SUV like the Lexus RX only to end up with something that will be in the shop more often than not.

I would like something 2007 +. I will research the difference between the sport version and the full version.

Regards,

John

·
Premium Member
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
788 Posts
Since you live in the US, you should definitely buy a 2009 Range Rover Discovery Sport Turbo with the 3.9L V10 turbo diesel. They do not break down. Ever.

Research them and all other models that interest you.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Since you live in the US, you should definitely buy a 2009 Range Rover Discovery Sport Turbo with the 3.9L V10 turbo diesel. They do not break down. Ever.

Research them and all other models that interest you.
???? Lol!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
02 Range Rover Westminster
98 Discovery LE Tdi

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
1,382 Posts
I would actually recommend you stick with Toyota.

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
In all seriousness if you're bothered by the idea of having to replace items most times you have an oil change then stick w a Jap car.

I can confidently say that a Rover will need more maintenance and more trips to a mechanic than a RX. Will it be in the shop more often than it is not? Obviously not. That's just silly.

'07-'09 with the Jag 4.4 seem to get the most approval in the mechanical and electrical departments.

http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/6-range-rover-mark-iii-l322/29994-2003-2005-vs-2006-2009-engines-most-system.html

http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/6-range-rover-mark-iii-l322/61610-reliability-2006-2009-vs-2010-2012-a.html

http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/6-range-rover-mark-iii-l322/42504-2008-my-vs-2010-my-worth-spending-extra-10-20-k.html

^hope those help.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Rovers of any kind are a "love hate relationship".
It's like Harley-Davidson. They are high maintenance, but almost everybody likes them.
They are fun, whether driving them or working on them.
They will try your patience at times.
I'm pretty sure this sounds like marriage.

98 Discovery LE Tdi

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
Rovers of any kind are a "love hate relationship".
It's like Harley-Davidson. They are high maintenance, but almost everybody likes them.
They are fun, whether driving them or working on them.
They will try your patience at times.
I'm pretty sure this sounds like marriage.

98 Discovery LE Tdi
Actually, it does sound like marriage! At the end of the day they take you to the cleaners when it's time for divorce.

Seriously I don't think any other vehicle, aside from a V12 Mercedes, has worse resale value.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In all seriousness if you're bothered by the idea of having to replace items most times you have an oil change then stick w a Jap car.

I can confidently say that a Rover will need more maintenance and more trips to a mechanic than a RX. Will it be in the shop more often than it is not? Obviously not. That's just silly.

'07-'09 with the Jag 4.4 seem to get the most approval in the mechanical and electrical departments.

http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/6-range-rover-mark-iii-l322/29994-2003-2005-vs-2006-2009-engines-most-system.html

http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/6-range-rover-mark-iii-l322/61610-reliability-2006-2009-vs-2010-2012-a.html

http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/6-range-rover-mark-iii-l322/42504-2008-my-vs-2010-my-worth-spending-extra-10-20-k.html

^hope those help.
Thanks for the advice. I have become spoiled with the dependability of the RX. It is bullet proof, but alas, it lacks styling in my opinion. Of course, I think that applies to most Toyota products. Incredible drive train but bleh styling.

I do have a Mercedes SL55 AMG and it is a high maintenance automobile, but, I have 2 dealers within a 100 miles from me so it is convenient to get her serviced. I think the closest Range Rover dealer for me would be 5 hours away.

I'll research the models you listed. I may also look at Infiniti and Audi to see how their SUV's hold up. Maybe even BMW.

Thanks again!

John

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I have become spoiled with the dependability of the RX. It is bullet proof, but alas, it lacks styling in my opinion. Of course, I think that applies to most Toyota products. Incredible drive train but bleh styling.

I do have a Mercedes SL55 AMG and it is a high maintenance automobile, but, I have 2 dealers within a 100 miles from me so it is convenient to get her serviced. I think the closest Range Rover dealer for me would be 5 hours away.

I'll research the models you listed. I may also look at Infiniti and Audi to see how their SUV's hold up. Maybe even BMW.

Thanks again!

John
I'd say a Rover is on par w your Benz as far as the kind of attention it would need.

I've had two Lexuses (both IS300s) - one needed its transmission and clutch replaced @ 20,000 miles and the other was bulletproof. I drove a lot of RX loaners during that time period; they're definitely nice but I know what you mean about the design.

BMWs are absolute garbage once they're out of warranty. You will have constant electrical issues at the least. Sensors fail constantly. I am always trying to help my friend solve the issues she has with her '08. There are many odd vibrations that hers has developed over the past year. When I look up her symptoms on BMW owners' forums, i find tons of people complain of the exact same symptoms yet no dealer and no mechanic can figure out the cause. It's always something with those cars. I've read a lot of owners having mechanical issues with the 3 litre gasoline turbo. I still think the X5 diesel could be interesting though.

Not sure if they're up your alley but the Volvo XC60 and XC90 are really enjoyable to drive in my opinion. Check them out in R Design trim (especially the 90). The base 3.2 is fine enough and actually sounds nice in the XC90 but you can also opt for the V8. Word of wisdom: try to avoid the T6 motor in the 60 if you decide to check them out - they can give trouble.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'd say a Rover is on par w your Benz as far as the kind of attention it would need.

I've had two Lexuses (both IS300s) - one needed its transmission and clutch replaced @ 20,000 miles and the other was bulletproof. I drove a lot of RX loaners during that time period; they're definitely nice but I know what you mean about the design.

BMWs are absolute garbage once they're out of warranty. You will have constant electrical issues at the least. Sensors fail constantly. I am always trying to help my friend solve the issues she has with her '08. There are many odd vibrations that hers has developed over the past year. When I look up her symptoms on BMW owners' forums, i find tons of people complain of the exact same symptoms yet no dealer and no mechanic can figure out the cause. It's always something with those cars. I've read a lot of owners having mechanical issues with the 3 litre gasoline turbo. I still think the X5 diesel could be interesting though.

Not sure if they're up your alley but the Volvo XC60 and XC90 are really enjoyable to drive in my opinion. Check them out in R Design trim.
As soon as I left this page I went straight to looking at Range Rovers. I have wanted one for so long, and only recently have I been able to afford one (i'm 44). I think I will wait one more year before deciding. My 06 RX400H has 115k miles and is still in great shape. In a year it will probably be close to 150K and I may just keep it and get a Range Rover.

The Mercedes SL55 AMG is amazing to drive. It just makes me happy when I put the top down and hit the gas.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
If you have always wanted a Range Rover, settle for nothing less.
You may be driving your blandmobile and see one go by, then the regrets will start, and the cycle starts over again.
Keep your eyes open for the model you want, do lots of research, and have at it. They aren't as "unreliable" as some make out, but do have their quirks, as does any luxury vehicle.
If you are used to paying Lexus and Mercedes labor rates, there is no surprise in a Rover shops rates. Although I see no point in owning anything you cant at least fix minor issues yourself.
Dont worry too much about the forum crap. I haven't posted in the MkIII forums for ages, because there is nothing wrong with it! No news gets no attention remember.
I was considering an Audi or Jag a while back, and all I read about were problems they "always had". Needless to say, as is the case with Rovers, at least 1/4 of the problem out there are amplified or created by clueless owners. We ended up with a MkIII at the end, which has been pretty much trouble free motoring.

Edit, after Googling images of both the exterior and interior of your Lexus, how do you stay awake sat in such blandness? Lordy....Buy a Rover fast and save yourself! lol
Martin

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you have always wanted a Range Rover, settle for nothing less.
You may be driving your blandmobile and see one go by, then the regrets will start, and the cycle starts over again.
Keep your eyes open for the model you want, do lots of research, and have at it. They aren't as "unreliable" as some make out, but do have their quirks, as does any luxury vehicle.
If you are used to paying Lexus and Mercedes labor rates, there is no surprise in a Rover shops rates. Although I see no point in owning anything you cant at least fix minor issues yourself.
Dont worry too much about the forum crap. I haven't posted in the MkIII forums for ages, because there is nothing wrong with it! No news gets no attention remember.
I was considering an Audi or Jag a while back, and all I read about were problems they "always had". Needless to say, as is the case with Rovers, at least 1/4 of the problem out there are amplified or created by clueless owners. We ended up with a MkIII at the end, which has been pretty much trouble free motoring.

Edit, after Googling images of both the exterior and interior of your Lexus, how do you stay awake sat in such blandness? Lordy....Buy a Rover fast and save yourself! lol
Martin
LOL. Bland indeed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, i've decided to go ahead and move forward with my purchase. I went and looked at a Range Rover Sport and a Range Rover Supercharged Autobiography edition. I like the "non" sport version more. It seems larger.

So, I want the full size ranger rover. I'm looking at 2007-2009 range. It appears the HSE is just a trim edition?

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
From 07-09 the HSE model is basically the standard motor; a non-supercharged 4.4L Jaguar V8 motor. There are lots of options and packages that one can get with the HSE.

There are also fewer mechanical things that can go wrong with the HSE as it has a simpler motor.

You can step up to the "Supercharged" model, which has the S-charged 4.2L Jaguar V8 motor. Unlike the HSE, there are trim levels within the S-Charged model ("Base", Autobiography, Westminster, etc)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
From 07-09 the HSE model is basically the standard motor; a non-supercharged 4.4L Jaguar V8 motor. There are lots of options and packages that one can get with the HSE.

There are also fewer mechanical things that can go wrong with the HSE as it has a simpler motor.

You can step up to the "Supercharged" model, which has the S-charged 4.2L Jaguar V8 motor. Unlike the HSE, there are trim levels within the S-Charged model ("Base", Autobiography, Westminster, etc)
I found a 2008 Westminster model in Florida that I really like. They have a deal pending, if it falls through I will get it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Looks like the one in Florida with a prior sale pending is going to be sold. Back to the drawing board. It was the Westminster Supercharger Edition. Not sure the Supercharger will be a deal breaker for me.

Does the base V8 HSE 4.4L motor have decent power?

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
Does the base V8 HSE 4.4L motor have decent power?
It's a matter of opinion. I like fast sports cars - I think fast SUVs are quite silly.

That being said, Yes, it generates plenty of power. In fact, I actually prefer its feel and sound characteristics over the Supercharged's.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's a matter of opinion. I like fast sports cars - I think fast SUVs are quite silly.

That being said, Yes, it generates plenty of power. In fact, I actually prefer its feel and sound characteristics over the Supercharged's.

I drive quite a bit on the highway, so I just like to have plenty of power for passing. That is my only concern where the power rating comes in.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts