RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks!

While travelling up slight inclines at speed I get a very low frequency droning noise. If I kick down, it disappears.

Apart from this, she drive fine.

Any ideas :think:

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
560 Posts
Does it sound like a humming noise or like you just went over the line on the interstate but no where near that load? Does it make this sound basically when in overdrive or slight gas is applied as not to kick down into another gear?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a very low pitched hum.

Yes, only happens if I accelerate slightly to maintain speed when going uphill. If I hammer it and she changes down, it does not happen.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
560 Posts
It sounds like the same problem I had. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18637

At first I thought it was a heat shield vibrating then It progressively got louder and then the transmission started shifting strange on the downshifts. I was positive though it could have been driven that way for awhile if need be, it was just annoying but it never gave me the impression it was going to fail totally. They deemed mine as an internal failure and replaced the transmission.

The dealers however doesn't do much checking to see what caused it they just replace the whole thing.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks roverboy.

I don't have extended warranty. The car has done over 125K miles.

Better start saving now :crybaby2:

·
Registered
236 Posts
I had an noise when on a light throttle between 50 to 70 mph, at first I thought it was a front wheel bearing, no luck. It turned out to be wear in the splined coupling(s) between the main gearbox and transfer box (one is male the other female). I had both boxes replaced. Cost about £2500 from Ashcroft Transmissions. The bad news was my wife's one was the same, the build dates of both our Range Rovers is within a month of each other (April and May 2002, 4.4 BMW) so don't know if there was a manufacturing problem at that time. It seems too coincidental for both to have the same problem as I have not seen any other posts with this problem as yet. I do know the diesels have auto box failures at quite low milage.
Stewart.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Range rover classic have suffered output shaft wear for decades. It does not surprise me that the MKIII would have the same sort of issues.

·
Registered
690 Posts
SGW:
If this is a wear issue it would be good to know what mileage you had recorded on each of yours when they got those symptoms.
The next step would be a poll to see if others have encountered similar issues and at what mileage.
Also, are yours diesels or petrol?

just a thought.

regards,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts