RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not good news for RR owners:

Gas/Petrol costs now exceed $8/US Gallon in the UK,
and similarly throughout the EU in fact.

[~ twice that of the US average]

- and we are all told this is due to 'instability in Iran' ??
What ??
Not by speculation/scaremongering by OPEC then... ??

Are we all mad ?

·
Registered
718 Posts
Didn't our president tell you? Oil's out and electricity is in!

But its ok, the US has the new keystone pipeli.... oh wait nevermind... that was vetoed... But we've got oil in our oceans and gulf so.... oh wait, thats frowned upon as well now...

i have a feeling we're not too far behind you!

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
98 Posts
Gas prices here are $3.47 here; Dropped 2cents overnight! :thumb:

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
203 Posts
And soon to increase dramatically owing to:

1) Tanker Drivers going on strike even though less than half of the Union Members voted.

and

2) Easter / Summer Holidays price hike (for no apparent reason)

So expect the price of a litre of petrol to be around £1.47 and diesel to be over £1.50 as its already £1.47 now, oh and don't forget the 3p a litre rise in the Budget due to be applied on the 1st August...........

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I tried long & hard to find good reasons for the UK prices, and the increases.....

but mainly without success (although lots of B/S about 'carbon' taxes, etc, obviously)

Why can't they just say/admit it is all simply based on what the market will stand ??

Then I found this:-

http://www.staveleyhead.co.uk/utilities/cheapest-petrol/

- and now I think I will move to Venezuela where it is 15cents/gallon....

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,410 Posts
Time to go veg oil. Save the planet and save your wallet.
I have been running SVO for about a year now on my 2000 DSE. £1/L at Costco in 20L drums.
One advantage of indirect injection diesel engine.
Performance is the same. Engine actually sounds better - less diesel "ping."

Dave
:)

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SVO ... Biodiesel ?.... I expect that you have been asked this before but what 'MPS' do you get ?(Yes, Miles Per Sunflower...)

£1/litre sounds good (at least in the UK) but it might be best to keep it a secret, as once enough folks use it then the Govt. tax it (like LPG, and Diesel itself of course, and eventually they will do the same with Electric, Hydrogen....).

Can anyone tell me why diesel is more expensive than petrol if the former needs less refining ?

(-Oh yes, I remember, encourage car owners to change to diesel to 'save the planet' etc and then when over 50% have done so then make the cost per mile the same as petrol ?) US drivers take note !!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think at one stage it will be time to move out to Venezuela, still at 20 cents per liter or even less. Bahrain is another good option :p In many European countries it is in part also due to taxes on fuel.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
408 Posts
I seem to remember reading somewhere that here in the US back in 1776, the colonials finally corrected their taxation issues! Maybe it is time once again for positive action! After all the very air we breath is a natural recsource we all need, you know a tax on that could be made to sound legal by the US government plc! Whatever happened to the republic, by the people for the people? Just as we are seeing signs of an economic recovery, fuel cost rocket, interesting, very interesting?

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In fact it is even more of a bargain than that, harrisrd, it is only 2 cents/litre in Venezula, so you could fill an empty RR tank there for less than 20 Bucks !!

And you are right about the high TAX on fuel in Europe, in the UK it is over 80%.... ie. Petrol here costs $1.5+Tax $6.50/ US gallon.

Here we call most of the Sales Tax on this Petrol 'Duty' (for some obscure reason).... but we also call our actual Sales Tax here (for even more obscure reasons) 'VAT' = Value Added Tax (but which is has no 'added value' at all, of course, just tax).

In the UK almost twenty years ago the Govt. added an 'Escalator' to the price of fuel, ~ 10% per annum, supposed to 'discourage the use of fuel for environmental reasons' (yes, really). This system ran for several years, but once it was stopped the price still continued to rise (almost as though the Escalator had not been removed ... Hmm, I wonder why ?....) and over the same period the UK price of petrol went from one of the cheapest to the most expensive in Europe ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_Price_Escalator

The '1776 and all that' question is also a good one, wreckrunner. As far as I can see it moved from 'By The People For The People' to 'By Less Of The People For More Of The People ?

And, on fuel costs, one of our famous eccentrics, Richard Branson, has described OPEC as an 'illegal cartel'....

UK, 2007... Petrol cost/tax breakdown - and much worse since then:-

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts