RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was installed when I bought it and held for many years. But the wood trim on the HVAC controller is starting to lift up on one side. Anyone have any success with some kind of adhesive tape that is not too thick and will hold for a few more years?

Yes I searched, and no I did not find an anwer...

·
Registered
333 Posts
I have had great luck with contact cement. If you can get both halves apart you put a thin amount on both halves and let dry for 20 mins. Then press together and q-tip off the extra. It holds quite well.
That and 2 part clear epoxy is holding a lot of my trim together.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have had terrible luck with any of the plastic on this one but I will see how stuck the rest of it is. Thanks for the tip.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,755 Posts
It's not wood. It is part of a tacky vinyl kit some dweeb added. Real wood replacement face plates for the HVAC were hand finished like other add on wood bits. There is even a factory wood veneer gauge surround. None of the factory or designer add on trims had glue to lift. They were of the same quality and finish as the door trims, console covers, rear ashtray lids etc.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,159 Posts
I disagree that the original ones weren't stick on...

I've got a couple of genuine wood fascias for both the gauges and the HEVAC, and they are both stick on. They aren't the tacky vinyl ones with rubbery texture, but solid chunks of wood.

That being said, whatever they are stuck on with, it's like glue... I have tried a couple of double sided adhesive products and both have been mediocre at best. I would imagine that the originals were using something from 3M.... anything of theirs seems to stick like the proverbial to a blanket...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts