RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Rover 4.6 (Bosch engine) and it wont even turn over. Trying to sort out
where to head next - is not turning over the symptom of true immobilizer sync issues with the Engine EMS?

I don't have any specific error codes, it just doesn't turn over. Trying to decide
where to start if this is immobilizer or BeCM/EKA issues or electrical only. It is NOT the starter as
I already tested that and it turns over.

Thanks for your suggestions,
-Brendan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
401 Posts
if the starter runs and does not engage, my tech told me that it is the solenoid inside the starter that has gone. Same problem if that is the case, just takes a few or 15 tries especially when cold. Have you renewed your fuel pump?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
931 Posts
If it does not turn over at all and there are no error messages,it could be as simple as an interlock not beiing engaged such as the gearlever not being in P.
is the battery ok and fully charged?.A couple of years back I had the same symptoms and it turned out to be a dead cell in the battery .This had happened overnight as I had had no problems at all the previous day. :roll:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
229 Posts
rhino_ed said:
if the starter runs and does not engage, my tech told me that it is the solenoid inside the starter that has gone. Same problem if that is the case, just takes a few or 15 tries especially when cold. Have you renewed your fuel pump?

What has renewing the fuel pump got to do with the engine not turning over? Have I missed something?
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
27,822 Posts
If you have do dash message that your engine is immobilized I seriously doubt this is an alarm issue. Have you traced the starter circuit yet to see where the failure is?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
931 Posts
rrtoadhall said:
If you have do dash message that your engine is immobilized I seriously doubt this is an alarm issue. Have you traced the starter circuit yet to see where the failure is?
I presume you mean that you dont have "Engine immobilized" displayed on the message centre. :naughty:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As I said, no specific error codes. Engine does NOT turn over (but starter tests ok). I'm asking if this
MATCHES the symptoms of immobilizer/alarm or if immobilizer/alarm/EKA problems
will just 'spin' the motor and never fire?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
931 Posts
omarawatch said:
As I said, no specific error codes. Engine does NOT turn over (but starter tests ok). I'm asking if this
MATCHES the symptoms of immobilizer/alarm or if immobilizer/alarm/EKA problems
will just 'spin' the motor and never fire?[/quote

If you have an immobilzer type problem the motor will not turn over,but at the sametime you can expect a message on the message centre stating that the engine has been immobilized.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
820 Posts
2000 MY, bosch motronic.

It's nothing to do with the immobiliser. If it was immobilised it would still turn over but not fire up.

Start at the fuse box & then test the single little wire on the back of the starter solinoid.
 

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
Joined
·
15 Posts
interested to see what it was my DSE is acting the same,

get dash lights on but turn the keey nothing happens but i can short the start cables with a screw driver and it fires up.

check fuse and relay ( its clicking ) no time to test the small wire on the start yet as maybe a break there ,

anyone seen this
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
207 Posts
I had this prob last week... its your engine not in sink with your pump... a very kind man on land rover zone pointed this out to me (j the range ) he evenn came out pluged his small comp in and within 1 min she was running fine. i am 95% THIS IS YOUR PROB IT SEEMS LIKE THE IMMOILIZER but its just your engine out of syinc thats all. this may be an old post but may help others today.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
800 Posts
Is your EAS pump tired? It may have seized and blown Maxi fuse 2 which has the starter motor solenoid on the same circuit on it.
I have posted extensively on it before, search for my name and maxi fuse.
Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
748 Posts
actually if you jump the relay and it attempts to start then hey its not the starter.

but if you have a hand held land rover device you do a BCU crank test and get around the xyZ SWITCH. if the switch dont work the car wont start.

happens on d2s as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
omarawatch said:
I have a 2000 Rover 4.6 (Bosch engine) and it wont even turn over. Trying to sort out
where to head next - is not turning over the symptom of true immobilizer sync issues with the Engine EMS?

I don't have any specific error codes, it just doesn't turn over. Trying to decide
where to start if this is immobilizer or BeCM/EKA issues or electrical only. It is NOT the starter as
I already tested that and it turns over.

Thanks for your suggestions,
-Brendan
Brendan,did you get your truck going?And if so ,what was the problem?I have the same symptums in my truck.So far I put in new battery,fuse box,wires to starter and checked all grounds.Next step xyz switch and crank pos. sensor!
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top