RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is just a theory right now but I should be able to prove it soon. The other night my truck just shut off while I was driving. Couldn't get it to start. Had it towed to the house. I disconnected the battery over night and the next day it started right up. Drove it for a while and then came back to the house and it shut off in the drive way. Took the battery out and had the battery tested and they said it was good. Hooked it back up and truck started right up. It then started up this morning. Drove it to work (about 10 miles) and now it won't start.

So my question is could it have something to to do with the BeCM being reset every time I take the battery off for a while?

·
Registered
931 Posts
I doubt it as well.If the Becm loses sync with the ECM ,the code will have to rewritten to the BECM and disconnecting the battery will not do that.

When you try to start,does the starter turn the engine over?.If it does it is not the BECM losing sync

Do you get any messages on the message centre?.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It won't give me any codes but I do get a "gear box fault" error message. I left it off the battery for a while and then reconnected it and then on by way home it just cut off again. Had it towed to Discovery Automotive here in Raleigh, NC so we will see what they say now. I'd hate to think that it just might be the battery cables.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
Possibly a crank sensor on its way, usually they just go
gearbox fault.....bad earth or wiring

Battery I doubt but seems to be important but doesnt cause a breakdown
Fusebox..bad connection somewhere, what about Engine ECU relay, worth a try by replacing, relays can give this sort of trouble too.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Viperover and Keithdixon were correct! Crank Sensor!
Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My mechanic did it. He says they tend to wear out every 10 years or 194,000 miles. Who knew?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts