Range Rovers Forum banner

Won't start after changing plugs, wires, cap and rotor

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Richard55 
#1 ·
I decided to swap out the plugs, wires, cap, and rotor on my 95 LWB since I have no idea when they were last changed. After changing them it won't start. Since I know I must have messed something up in the process, I'm trying to figure out the best way to troubleshoot it.
1. I reinstalled the old cap and rotor in case the new ones were bad. - No change, cranks and doesn't fire
2. I replaced the wire from the ignition coil to the distributor with the old one - No change, cranks and doesn't fire

I spot checked several of the wires to make sure I'm not just off in the firing order. I believe it is correct. Any ideas of something simple that can go wrong in the process?

#3 ·
Do you have spark at the coil? check all components including module.
once verified, what he said, top of distributor shaft comes apart from bottom when pulling on rotor. the best way to keep this from happening, hold the shaft at the reluctor wheel with a long screw driver while pulling at the rotor. lube the shaft with dielectric grease before installing the new unit.
to repair/align install the shaft, it is preferred the distributor be removed but it can be done with it installed, it is a bit difficult but the clear cover must come off, remove the reluctor ring, lift the pick up plate and reinstall counter weight springs, work your way up. there is a repair kit to keep this issue from happening. falcon works offers said kit.

#4 ·
When you changed the cap
Did you change it wire by wire or did you use a diagram

And is it turning over fast enough
I’ve had to give mine a jump to get it to hit
After changing the cap and rotor
And get the fuel moving
I’d give it a blast of starter fluid

#5 ·
I figured it out. Thanks to 95classiclwb for the suggestion to check for spark at the coil. There was no spark at the coil, so I swapped it with the one in my other 95. The non-working truck was still non-working and the working truck was still working so the coil itself was not the problem.

When putting the other one in the non-working truck I checked the power wires and found it wasn't getting power. One of the wires had a break near the connector. I put a new spade connector on it and it fired right up and is running great now. I must have bumped it just enough when changing the spark plug wires to break it. Glad it happened in my driveway and not on a trip.

Thanks to all for the quick suggestions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.