RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 05 RR HSE has been having a world of electrical problems. This winter has been brutally cold and has done a number on my truck -

Driver door froze shut, hood latch broke and these were the least of my problems.

I bought a new battery around 4 months ago and has been running well. About a month ago in really cold weather I went 24 hours without driving it and the battery died. Since then it has never been the same.

The serpentine belt has been slipping, squealing and the "air susp inactive" message has been on (it works fine, just cant raise/lower the truck manually) I was wondering if that could have something to do with electrical issues?

Also, today, after charging my dead battery, I started the truck and started driving. I was unable to go over 10 mph and when I slowed down to stop it would putter like it wanted to stall. There is absolutely no warning messages or check engine lights on, it just wont drive normally. As I mentioned the weather has been below 0 Fahrenheit lately and this truck seems to hate the cold.

Would this have anything to do with the serp belt or has anyone ever had an issue like this?

As always your help is very appreciated!

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
115 Posts
I'm experiencing the same with my P38. It may be the CCA are not there for the electronics. I hate to disconnect the battery unless necesary. But, I may keep the battery in the house over night and install on a cold morning and see if it is the batt. I wondering if the tran is too cold to function correctly. It will not offer sport mode untill the buck and stalling is gone?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Initial thought is something is draining your battery like a possible FSR as mine did. Not saying that's it, just stating what drained mine. Even though the battery is rather new, it doesn't mean its not damaged/unable to take a full charge. What battery is it?
As to the speed limiter, Hopefully it's something controlled by the Body control module and resolving the voltage issue, will clear this too. Do you have an Allcoms reader?

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
8 Posts
I have had the same thing happen with my 03. My alternator died and wouldn't charge the battery. When the battery drains all kinds of electrical malfunctions occur. My battery completely died on the road and I had to use the battery from my Jeep to get the car home the rest of the way. Have the alternator out now (a pain in itself) and waiting on the replacement. Charge your battery up and see if the truck goes back to normal. Get your alternator tested.
If your serpentine belt is slipping it could be the tensioner that's gone or bearings in your alternator, power steering pump, or water pump are gone. This would definitely affect the charging system (alternator) performance. You need to remove the fan (and cover) to access the serpentine belt and check the bearings of the above noted items. It everything check out ok, re-tension the serpentine belt and see if the battery is being charged. If you're very lucky it could be that the belt just came loose.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
340 Posts
I had a similar issue on our 2011 Range Rover. All systems shut down and it acted much like yours. I had the truck towed to my dealer and was told that the alternator was bad.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts