RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car drove absolutely perfect up until about 2 weeks ago. Went to the library for about an hour and a half, car suddenly wouldn't crank or start. Tried to get it jumped, but wasn't the battery. Eventually after a ton of head scratching and key turns, the car starts out of nowhere. The next day it starts up just fine. Go to start it again and it's the same no crank no start problem as before.

It's been an on and off problem and I can't seem to figure it what it could possibly be. I've noticed it's been a lot colder out lately, and it's no longer garage kept, could this play a factor in why it won't start? No clue what makes it decide to start only when it wants to.

If anyone can provide any sort of help I'd greatly appreciate it. If you have any questions or anything please let me know. I'll try to get a video of everything that happens asap.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
38 Posts
it sounds stupid, but... give the shifter a mild slap (put it MORE in park.. if there is such a thing).

We run into this occasionally on our P38. Every once in a while it will not recognize that it is in park, which keeps it from cranking.

Root cause.. I have no idea, but i am sure that much more experienced/knowledgeable minds will chime in :)

-Nate

·
Registered
13 Posts
hi had the same problem two or three years ago turn turn out to be the battery lead to the starter motor changed it been ok since hope this helps

·
Registered
450 Posts
IL second the starter relay , the next time it does it just short out the starter relay with a screw driver ( if your mechanically inclined you should know what I mean if not DONT TOUCH IT ) if it starts that's the problem. could also be ignition it self.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Hi

The cranking is only allowed if the gearstick is in P or N. If you hear nothing not even a click when you try to crank the engine try shifting between P and N and try again.

It could also be other causes but if it is a wiring or starter motor problem it will not suddenly go away.

Best regards

Jos

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Um- looking at your video, that's not a P38 that you have there!
You might be better off posting this in the appropriate forum for your model. RR anoraks here might be able to identify what model it is from the video. I've never even sat in anything later than a P38

·
Banned
3,952 Posts
It's an L322 and the bit making the static noise is the ABS modulator so that would be the pump running. Definitely not a P38 though so ignore all advice so far, we're all talking about a completely different car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts