RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed the oil today in the '08 SC. Changing the oil was fairly easy, but the two plastic cover panels were a bear to deal with.

I was short (they were missing when I started) seven fasteners, and when I went to the LR dealer, all they had was one size of the course-threaded screws (KYP500210). I used those and they worked OK.

As I reassembled the panels, attempting to attach the tabs on the lower front part of the bumper to the panels was a bear, and it seemed that both the right and left panels had shrunk over the years, as the tabs wouldn't align to the proper screw holes.

If you look at the hitch cover, it seems that the panels are about 1/2" off, as it would seem that the hitch cover should fit snugly into the two sides, without the slop that's there.

I also attached a picture of one of the tabs to show its misalignment. As you can also see, most of the tabs have been broken.

Am I missing something? Does one have to lean in on the panels from each side of the bumper to get the tabs to align?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
It is due to the front trim pieces being slightly distorted. Generally the screws that go in from the front, parallel with the ground, not into the pictured tabs, get left out, as they make changing the oil in the vehicle far more difficult(warranty time to change the oil filter on this engine is 0.9 hours)

Without those screws in, the front pieces hold the tray up, as opposed to the tray holding the trim secure, and they warp a little over time.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dave, thanks. I figured with all your experience, you'd have an answer.

It really struck me that the English/Germans would use different size fasteners in the same assemblies, compared to the Japanese, who'd use just one size to make assembly easier.

To mix metaphors, what a Chinese puzzle to take apart and reassemble.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts