RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have done all of the obvious tests to determine why the windshield washers are not working:

• Column stalk operates the wipers OK
  • Pressing the "wash" button does nothing
  • Nozzles are not blocked
  • Fuse is OK
  • Pump works when connected direct to battery- plenty of wash pressure
  • Ground at the pump is OK - but there is NO power at the pump
Because the ground is OK. the problem must be in the switch or the wiring, but I can't find the fault - I admit I have not yet pulled the cover off the steering column.

Tried a "workaround" by grafting a new positive wire to the pump BUT can't find where to attach the other end of the wire to make the pump operate with the existing column switch (the wiring schematics are very confusing)

There IS a switched (ignition on) wire close to the pump and it DOES operate the pump but obviously can't use because it would leave the pump running all of the time. It would mean installing a new dashboard "horn" switch to make the pump operate only on demand but it is a swine of a job getting the switch wires through the firewall and up to a suitable mounting position on this model, then installing the actual switch - it is also an ugly solution

Would appreciate advice from anyone who has fixed a this problem - can't afford to have an auto electrician learn at my expense

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

The circuit identifies the relay but being fairly stupid, I cannot work out where it is located. RAVE is very helpful about testing the REAR washer, but not so for testing the washer pump. F1-3 appears to be the column switch.

It is starting to look like a better option to install a new wire with a horn switch

windscreen_wiper_and_washer.jpg

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ignore all of the above - fixed the problem by rigging a hot wire to the pump from a nearby switched connector. Then ran a new ground wire through the firewall to a new switch mounted onto a small aluminium plate screwed to the lower fascia.

It may not be original but it works perfectly.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks - yes it works, but oh what a joy it is to work on a Lucas-infected vehicle.

For interest, the pump works, but nothing comes out of the screen washer jets. The solution to that problem was to redirect the bumper-mounted headlight jets to squirt fluid over the bonnet onto the screen The formidable jet of washer fluid does the job better than the bonnet-mounted ones ever did! The rear screen washer works perfectly.

Maybe Lucas was running a competition to find the silliest joke of the day. Another Lucas joke was having the left side mirror constantly adjusting itself whenever the RIGHT hand door was opened (with or without ignition on) ALSO when the ignition was turned on. That little issue was solved by undoing the plug powering the mirror. Manually setting the mirror is idiot-proof, not so Lucas.

·
Registered
965 Posts
There are two pumps
One for the hood jets and the other for the headlights
The headlight jets usually work only with the headlights on
I’m sure you figured that out though
So just sayin

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In this case, the headlight washers work WITHOUT the lights being on - so maybe I just have made the wrong connections. No matter - it works

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks. I got the beast through the registration inspection today so the urgency of fixing these hassles is over. I appreciate your guidance and will find that relay and attempt to fix the washers properly now I have more time

1 - 10 of 10 Posts