RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1998 range rover love it but had an engine fire bought used wiring harness 125.00 installed it and nothing took it to a shop said it needed a new brain bought that 100.00 then they said it need to be programed but they couldn't do that paid 150.00 then took it to a range rover dealership said they programed it and it sounded like it wanted to start but last place didn't put in all intake bolts so i picked it up and put bolt in and nothing got screwed again for 176.00 they told me i was better off to take it to the shop around the corner they were cheeper to diagnoss it guy is very nice there but can't figure out problem said he is not sure if there were different wiring harnesses and i'm not sure when i bought it said it would work on i think 97 to 99 range rover have not driven my range in a year can anyone help please thanks Paul

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,248 Posts
Re: wiring harness fire replaced it but engine won't start help

more info please....
does it crank?
is there a spark?
is there fuel?
was the harness in good condition?
were there any plugs over or under on the harness/rangey? meaning did every plug on the harness have somewhere to go, and no sensors etc without a plug going to them.
did you get all the sensors checked?
with a fire, it can be that there was some shorting out going on, ruining sensors etc.
please tell us where you are located, there may be a member here that can help you, or say where to take it.....
martin

·
Administrator
27,822 Posts

How about reposting with sentance breaks? :mrgreen:

There simply isn't enough info in that 20 page disertation to make sense of what is happening.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

yes it cranks almost sure has gas but no spark as i remember all plugs had a place to go did not replace sensors bought brain they have tried it with both brains and nothing did not replace sensor on plenum not sure if i replaced all other would that shut down everything the shops said it still sould do more than it does but what do they know retards!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Sorry forgot harness was in good condition except for one plug which I spliced . I live in Virginia in Newport News. For moderator didn't know I was graded on grammer is this better.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,248 Posts

ok, so we now know it is a spark issue!
make sure there is fuel though.
we need to know what the becm and engine ecm's do when the codes do not match.
you will also need the wiring diagram to see where the ignition gets its 12v signal from and when. it may be possible to jump the distributor just to check it.
anyone know about the becm vs engine ecm codes shut down when it isnt happy???

martin

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Thanks for helping Martin. Where do I get the diagram from and how do I jump the distributor .I will check fuel rail to make sure it has fuel. Any other sugestions? Thanks Paul

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,248 Posts

no problem mate!
i have an alldata account for mine, worth every penny IMHO.
www.alldatadiy.com
it will show you everything that an official manual will.

martin

·
Registered
517 Posts

There is also all the electrical info in RAVE which you can find for free to download. It is pretty essential if you are going to maintain the Rangie yourself

1 - 9 of 9 Posts