RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wiring Diagram needed to install Piaa 80 Series Lamps on 4.6HSE

Hi guys need your help as i have scoured through the search function to the RAVE manual with not much help as i have difficulty in wiring up auxiliary lamps for the 4.6HSE.

To my understanding auxiliary lights should be wired in such a way that they only come on when you turn on the high beam switch. Something like this:

However our mechanic cannot figure out how to wire it saying that there's no power going through when we wire it the usual way.

Any idea how would you wire it on a 4.6HSE?

Google search came up with this:
http://www.hidlighting.com.au/HID_Driving_Lights/HID_Driving_Light_Wiring_Diagram.html#Anchor1

However it still doesn't make sense to me.

Would appreciate if someone could point us to the right direction or better still draw a diagram on how it should be done on the 4.6HSE.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,426 Posts
Re: Wiring Diagram needed to install Piaa 80 Series Lamps on 4.6HSE

I have got LR driving lights on mine and I fitted the factory harness that came as part of the kit.

It is as you have shown it. The power for the driving lights is straight from the battery via a fuse and relay. The signal that pulls the relay in is taken from the back of one of the headlight bulbs. I had a special harness so it was just a case of plugging it in. Just piggy back onto the high beam +12v signal. The relay coil does not pull much current.

I do not have a driving light control switch however. The driving lights come on at the same time as high beam.

Addendum: I have just had another look at your circuit diagram and the relay coil connections are 85 and 86.
On mine it picks up a +12v signal from the headlight to pull in. On your diagram you have a permanent +12v feed to 85 from 30 and the circuit switches an earth onto 86. The opposite way to mine but should still work.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Just piggy back onto the high beam +12v signal. The relay coil does not pull much current.
So ure trying to say i just need relay 85 to the "high beam +12V signal?

On a side note:
What is this special harness i hear quite a bit. Coz i have the factory fog lamps installed.
It seems that there is such away where i can use the original fog light as the switch where on low beam the fog turns on and when on high beam the fogs turns off and the auxiliary lights turns on.
However i cant find any instruction manual on RAVE that shows how the factory auxiliary lights are wired.
I wonder if this diagram is related to our cars. But it doesn't specify how exactly to wire it.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts

Normally 85 goes to earth and the +12v trigger signal for the relay coil goes to 86.

The harness that came with my kit was very simple. It just saved making up a lead.

Don't know about wiring driving lights into the fog light switch. I don't have them on mine.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Thanks for sharing. Will share your feedbacks with our mechanic.

However it's funny that when he tried taking the +12V from the H4 high beam (56a) to 86. It doesn't work.

I presume this wire with the switch is 86 as I have to be honest that we are not using the normal 4/5pin Bosch but the Piaa's relay for the Piaa 80 Series lamps.

There isn't any wiring diagram for the Piaa that came out of the box or even on the Piaa website.

However if i was to wire with a switch direct to a battery then the Piaa works (however this would be wrong as i cant turn off the lights and high beam at the same time now).

·
Registered
1,426 Posts

Assuming it is a standard automotive relay, 85 and 86 should be the coil connections.
The convention is that 85 is normally the earth and 86 the +12v trigger signal.

A lot of p38 circuits however have a permanent +12v supply and the earth does the switching in and out. You could wire the lights either way but either one way or the other.

If you are not sure about the operation of the relay, I would test it on the bench first to verify the coil pulls the contacts in. Use an electrical meter to identify the terminals if there are no numbers on them.

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts

Do you not have high/low in the mix for those lights too, So you'd need a relay to switch between the two modes and unless the power source is fed direct to the input (30) of that relay from your existing high beam, you'd need another relay to switch them on.

You perhaps have the wiring back to front as it were, given the relay maybe a double throw (because of the high/low requirement).

But like what has already been said, find (with a multimeter) what all the terminals are doing, if you get the coil activated you should hear a click too.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Hmm i'll try to digest what you said and share it with the mechanic. However i'm just planning to run high beam only on the Piaa

1 - 8 of 8 Posts