RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I just purchased a set of 2006 Bi-Xenon headlights and I am trying to figure out how to install them.

This seems to be a pretty common swap, yet I can't find any information on it. Has anyone on here done this swap? If so, what did you need to get everything working properly? Lastly, any way to get the adaptive functionality working too?

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I think the early 2003 vehicles in which the bi-xenons were optional are probably pretty rare, so I don't know if a lot of people have tried this.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My 2003 doesn't have Bi-Xenons... It has a low beam Xenon and a high beam halogen bulb.

All I want to do is wire up the 06 bi-xenons in the 2003. Everyone says this is easy and has been done before, yet no one has any input!!?

-Mike

·
Registered
11 Posts
first of all you will need different plugs, you can buy then on ebay i seen them there, second of all front bumper is different, the grille is different, and i think you have to modify your fenders a little bit also, i am doing a 2009 conversion on my 2003 hse, and those things i know for sure, i didnt wire my headlights yet, but i know for sure that the plugs are different.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I think the bi-xenon may still have a halogen high beam. It just has an extra aperture which opens on on the xenon lamp to allow more light out when the high beam is on in combination with the other light... I could be wong on that, but you many want to double check that you don't already have bi-xenons. I am about 75% sure that the early 2003 which didn't have them were not xenon at all, both high and low beams were halogen.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
That said, the 2006 do look different, and may move horizontally instead of just up/down. Not sure what year that started.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
darrinturner said:
Does anyone know the diff between Bi-Xenon and Xenon?
Yes, a bi-xenon uses xenon for both low and high beam, and has an apparatus to increase the light which is emitted on high beam by moving the lamp, or a reflector. There is also a halogen bulb which is used for the high beam in conjunction with the xenon. I think the halogen may only be used if you "flash" the high beam though, but I haven't really looked to see if it is always on when the high beam is on.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Why go through all that trouble... Just buy a xenon conversion off eBay for the high-beams.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
woldd90 said:
Why go through all that trouble... Just buy a xenon conversion off eBay for the high-beams.
Because the xenon bulbs are not designed to work that way. The HID lights take a few seconds to reach full output and their service life is seriously reduced by flashing on and off. That is why the flash function is fulfilled by the halogen lamp. Rest assured, if you have bi-xenon, you are still using xenon for your high beam.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was a bit skeptical but I just went outside and checked... You are right, my 2003 has Bi-Xenons... When I turn on the high beams, the Xenon bulb gets a lot brighter and the Halogen bulb also comes on - so I guess it essentially has two high beams. When you simply flash someone, only the halogen light comes on...

Does that mean that I don't need any other harness to wire in the 2006 Bi-Xenons? I already ordered the 2006 plugs just in case...

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
114 Posts
linuxfreakus said:
woldd90 said:
Because the xenon bulbs are not designed to work that way. The HID lights take a few seconds to reach full output and their service life is seriously reduced by flashing on and off. That is why the flash function is fulfilled by the halogen lamp. Rest assured, if you have bi-xenon, you are still using xenon for your high beam.
I understand this completely, but the conversion kit is about $100 and how many times do you really flash people anyways?

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
woldd90 said:
I understand this completely, but the conversion kit is about $100 and how many times do you really flash people anyways?
Not often, but when my high beams are on, it is like broad daylight already, I can't imagine there being much difference.

D

·
0 Posts
KuduRover said:
I was a bit skeptical but I just went outside and checked... You are right, my 2003 has Bi-Xenons... When I turn on the high beams, the Xenon bulb gets a lot brighter and the Halogen bulb also comes on - so I guess it essentially has two high beams. When you simply flash someone, only the halogen light comes on...

Does that mean that I don't need any other harness to wire in the 2006 Bi-Xenons? I already ordered the 2006 plugs just in case...

Thanks,

Mike
That is what I thought also as our 04 has them. So I wanted to make sure I was thinking that Bi-Xenons are what I thought they were

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yup, Bi-Xenon's are essentially like an eye ball/lid setup. Think of the low beam as your eyes with your eye lid halfway open, kind of like the bottom portion of bi-focals.... Then when you flick on the high beams, the eye lid opens all the way and all of the "eye balls" light is shot down the road. This is like seeing through the top and bottom of bi-focals.

Decent explanation?

So I just need new plugs to put in the 2006 bi-xenon lights?

Is there ANY way to get the adaptive part working in an 03?

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
11 Posts
the 2006 rr has a completely different front end then a 2003-2005 rr, the headlights are different, bumper, grille, headlight plugs, bumper support bar, you have to cut you fenders, new air intake, and there is a few other steps, you cant just change the headlight and that it, there is way more to it then that.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I ordered all those parts, minus the intake... Are you sure I need to change that??

I ordered:

Front Bumper
Front Crash Bumper
Fog Lights
Park Sensors
Grill
Headlights

Anything else I need? I'm just going to have a shop deal with it all as the bumper needs to be repainted anyway.

-Mike

1 - 19 of 19 Posts