RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to get new wiper blades for my 2006 HSE.

I've searched the threads on this forum and there appears to be no direct aftermarket product recommended here.

Autozone showed the Rain-x wipers to be a fit.

Are they correct?

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
237 Posts
I don't think you'll find aftermarket blades, the fitting is unusual and all my attempts have failed. And the standard LR ones are useless in cold and snow...

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have bought the cheap one from paddockspares for use here in Norway. Yes, they do not stand the strain for that long time, but for the price I can change wiper blades twice a year. Here we have snow from october to april..

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
adara said:
I don't think you'll find aftermarket blades, the fitting is unusual and all my attempts have failed. And the standard LR ones are useless in cold and snow...
My standard wipers work fine in the snow/slush/sleet/whatever - as do most modern wipers regardless of vehicle manufacturer. Test drive a new RR in bad weather...There are a few things that need to be done:
- don't buy supermarket wipers - even if they have 29 individual wiping edges.
- adjust the wipers properly (this is something even repair shops don't always do and with the longer wiper blades in use today, this is almost essential). The blade needs to be nearly perpendicular to the windshield. A very slight slant in the direction of wipe from rest is best (I believe LR calls for 88deg or similar). On older cars, this was done by bending the wiper blade/arm. The LM has adjusters. There is a section in RAVE on wiper attack angle adjustment.
- The wiper arm needs to be absolutely free to pivot (at the base, where it attaches to the spindle) so that there is sufficient spring pressure to press the blade on the windshield. Try lifting the blade on a new RR and then go back to your several year old RR. I guarantee you'll feel a difference. Usually this is not even the spring wearing out but the lower wiper arm and pivot rivet (steel) rusting or the spindle receptacle (aluminum) oxidizing. When I purchased my TD6, the rear wiper didn't work worth squat. When i lifted the blade, there was almost no pressure pulling the blade back to the window. Some rags, some penetrating oil, and working the arm back and forth for about 30 secs had the wiper working almost perfectly - even with the old blade. This is a PITA to do on our front wipers, BTW, as they only lift a couple of cm's and don't allow penetrating oil to be sprayed directly at the joint. This is something that almost no shop checks or repairs. The dealer's solution - when and if the check - is new wiper arms for $$$$$$ (need a smiley bent over a table getting taken from behind violently :) )
- A money saving tip is to replace just the blade inserts (the rubber). Use a quality insert, tho, not a supermarket insert. There is no need to replace the entire wiper blade assy every time the rubber inserts wear.

·
Registered
54 Posts
We've adapted BOSCH Evolutions and so far they are working great!! No clunking, smooth, streak free & silent.

What I did was design and CNC a small plastic block so it all looks correct. Then used SS hardware (nut and bolt arrangement). You can DIY I you have access to plastic, cutting devices and suitable hardware.

Here's a link to the blocks and hardware we've used.

http://www.jageng.com/garage9/product_i ... 6a0fe36060

·
Registered
929 Posts
I was in on a site group buy about a year ago. They were the LR standard blades. 2 minutes to change all 3 and they work fine in all weather. Sorry I dont remember what we finally paid. A search should find it.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I got the standard LR wipers for a small fortune from the dealer this summer and they worked fine until the temperature went under -10 -15 deg. Celsius when they just went over the thin layer of ice and no heated windshield and no hot air would remove this ice so I just had to stop using them. Actually the rear one got stuck too in ice, but it's not that important. As flat blades wipers (who would work, the spring is much sturdier) don't fit, I think I must look into the special winter ones from LR...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Frameless blades imo are better than frame blades. Not even cost or icing was our issue. We just got a new blade set for our '06 and they were clunking and clacking as they shifted from one edge to the other. There is so much play in framed blades, old school design.

SO rather than fart around with trying to get the OEM to work, it was faster to develop the spacer and fit the frameless. Now in future - just a trip to the local store, $20 for a Bosch Evolution, super quiet and bob's your uncle.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Which brings me again to the question why on earth does LR continue to provide these crappy wipers even on the 2010 model while fitting them with up to date technology such as suround cameras, dual view screen, etc...

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,973 Posts
I really don't see what the problem is with the standard wipers? LR provide two types, standard and winter. Wipers aren't designed to clear the snow, just rain. You have a button on your dash for that.

And if they clank about at each end of their travel it's because you haven't adjusted the spigot correctly and the angle is wrong. It takes literally 5 minutes to adjust it and you get a much better wipe.

·
Registered
54 Posts
our '06HSE = dealer/factory adjusted. i just replaced the blades with new when we got it. the increased friction of the new blade immediately caused the noise. There was nothing I could do - too much downward force from the arm (twin springs), too much friggin' SLOP in the blade. it is what it is.

I had a similar problem with the Porsche, luckily frameless blades were invented and BINGO - instant improvement. My Volvo V70R also uses frameless right from the factory. All of our cars I switched over.

One "problem" with the RR is that it is really serenely quiet inside & void of any NVH, so the "customer" (my wife) was focusing on the wipers. And they did click and clack and it was inconsistent as well too - dependent on the windscreen surface condition. sometimes smooth, then clicky clicky bang bang. Enough already !! BTDT with the Porsche.

Went frameless = done deal, no complaints since the retrofit and they are sublime.

I am sharing the issue we had from the get go. We live in a rainforest area. But the new technology can be implemented and it's being tested daily over here.

·
Registered
237 Posts
When it’s snowing and it’s very cold even with Program On (heated windshield and full heat) the LR wipers just don’t work! We had -15 Celsius last week and they just couldn’t wipe the thin ice from the snow that was melted by the windshield. Never had this problem with the Discovery/LR 3 that had flat wipers from the start!

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
adara said:
When it’s snowing and it’s very cold even with Program On (heated windshield and full heat) the LR wipers just don’t work! We had -15 Celsius last week and they just couldn’t wipe the thin ice from the snow that was melted by the windshield. Never had this problem with the Discovery/LR 3 that had flat wipers from the start!
Was that with the Winter blade?

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
adara said:
No. With the regular LR ones.
As above, LR do two types of blade. A summer and a winter.

Perhaps at -15C you should buy the winter blades? Kinda like running summer tyres and complaining they won't work well in snow?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts