RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to replace the drivers side wiper arm on my '08 L322 and what should have been 15min has killed my entire evening and I still haven't got it.

I don't know what 1st year engineering student they let design this, but they obviously realized how stupid it is as my replacement arm is a one piece design. In the pictures below you see the current design has a metal spacer between the wiper arm and the spline. I can't for the life of me get that bloody thing off. I went and bought a puller thinking that would work, it's so on there it just started warping the arms of the puller.

How does one get this thing off? It's supposed to just slide off and I get it might need a little nudging but when it's bending a solid steel puller that's a bit excessive.

20170327_182515.jpg 20170327_182532.jpg

·
Registered
54 Posts
Have you tried a penetrant of some kind? Kroil, Mouse milk, PB blaster any of those should help release the serrated plate from the shaft. Some times tapping the shaft with a hammer as well as the serrated plate.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Did anyone find a solution? I have same problem now. Tried WD 40, placing plier handles behind the metal spacer and tapping the threaded spline (with the nut on top to protect threading). Has not worked for me yet. I'll try PB Blaster but not sure will work. Can anyone confirm what was successful?

·
Registered
909 Posts
It's just a spacer that slips over the threaded stud. It is tapered on the inside diameter so it fits TIGHT onto the wiper arm stud. Don't tap on the stud itself, you need to tap on the outer edges of the washer to break it loose from that tapered fit, and maybe pry upwards on it with a screwdriver, or small nail extactor (like the claw on the back of a hammer)

·
Registered
111 Posts
When you do get it off, when you install torque to spec, not over tighten. Mine was crusted on, and cranked down. This piece sets the wiper angle per the manual.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
5 Participants
MarkinMaine
RangeRovers.net Forum
We’re a community forum to discuss and assist on issues with every Range Rover model. Sign up if you have a question, answer or to meet like minded individuals
Full Forum Listing