RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided that i want to swap out my stock Michelin Latitude Diamaris tires for the upcoming winter here in NYC. I am a new father to a beautiful little girl and want to make sure she is safe. The stock tires sucked last year when i purchased the truck. I've decided on two brands and have turned to you folks on helping me decide.

1 - Vredestein Wintrac 4 Xtreme
2 - Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 SUV

Please let me know yours thoughts. Getting them for roughly the same price. $1100.

·
Registered
459 Posts
They both sound great winter tires.
I've had Nokian WR G2 on last year and it's been great on snow.

image-04.jpg

·
Registered
203 Posts
I used the Nokian WRG2 last year. They are great in snow - but okay (but not good) on ice.

Due to this I got the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 SUV this year in 275/40/20 and they are fantastic in snow and great on ice. 2 thumbs way up.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Nokian is the best of the best. I m running on Nokian Hakkapeliitta 5. Made in Russia but soft enough.275/45/20 and 2.4bar front 2.5bar rear is my tire pressure.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I made my Decision and went with the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 SUV. They should be here by next week.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Well for the record, as a former rubber to ice racer who had several sponsors over the years, when Hakepalita came along I never looked back. Competitors never got close. (No I was not racing a Rangie - but tempted.)

·
Banned
531 Posts
no complaints with the michelin dedicated snow/ice tires on 20" wheel:

i have the pirelli scorpion snow/ice tire on the Q7 w/ the oem 21" wheels:

in the past i have been a fan of dunlop wintersport 3D/M3 however they no longer make them in the fitments i need. i experimented with both of the tires above and have not had any issues and would definitely buy them again. over thanksgiving weekend i drove in 11 degree temperatures in 16" of snow without issue or concern and the RRS performed the same way. last year during the snowpocalypse i was shuffling family and friends to work while everyone was stuck or slid off the road into a snowbank.
http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/9-range-rover-sport-l320/72665-question-regarding-oem-factory-tires.html

·
Registered
273 Posts
Wow Dunlop wintersport was a very good tire. I used it on wife's rav4. Now she is driving Subaru XV on Michelin stud. Michelin is also good tires. Stay away from good year. I don't know the cost of nokian tires in USA.

I am living in Siberia I tested the nokian tires long enough. Nokian is the best for winter but summer tires is not good enough.

Nokian>Michelin>Dunlop>Bridgestone>toyo>Yokohama>continental>good year
This my list from my own experiences.

·
Banned
531 Posts
i've read very positive reviews for both nokian and vredestein winter tires as well however i have not used them personally so i cannot comment or recommend.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tires installed, no snow here as yet in the NYC, did get some rain and you can feel the difference the way they grip. On Dry roads, the noise levels has increases a bit. Can't wait for some snow to come in.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Holy Crap, Winter Storm Juno just hit us in NYC and let me tell you, these tires are awesome. I am now a believer and will be a future buyer of Nokian tires for the rest of my vehicles. I've already purchased a set of the WRG3's for the wife's car. The Nokian Hakka R2 SUV held up to all the snow and ice driving, didn't feel it even try to slip.

I wish i could get rid of the stock michelins but I have to keep them because the dealer gave me wheel and tire warranty for the rest of my CPO coverage and since the wide likes to hit the potholes, i've used the warranty about 3 times already.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I got the Haka R2 suv's as well.....the BEST snow tire I have ever had. Have used all previous versions of the WR Suv's ( original, G2 and G3 ) and a previous haka version as well. The R2's are something special.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Yeah Hakka's!

·
Registered
273 Posts
cant drive my truck for suspension issues and cold starting problems. hard winter is ending here in siberia. i glad to hear good words for nokian.
i am not a nokian delaer but good is good. i miss my car. tomorrow will be -25C i want to drive.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
799 Posts
Holy Crap, Winter Storm Juno just hit us in NYC and let me tell you, these tires are awesome. I am now a believer and will be a future buyer of Nokian tires for the rest of my vehicles. I've already purchased a set of the WRG3's for the wife's car. The Nokian Hakka R2 SUV held up to all the snow and ice driving, didn't feel it even try to slip.

I wish i could get rid of the stock michelins but I have to keep them because the dealer gave me wheel and tire warranty for the rest of my CPO coverage and since the wide likes to hit the potholes, i've used the warranty about 3 times already.
The wide? :shock:

Well. :doh:

Isn't that an unfortunate Freudian slip.

:oops::lol:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts