RangeRovers.net Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys, I live in Toronto and bought my 19.5 RRS HST this summer, I have the 21' all-season tires from the factory and I wonder if it's necessary to buy those expensive winter tires. After all, this is a range rover, I have high expectation on its winter accessibility. Cheers!
The smartest thing you can do is to reduce the size as far as you can from 21. Seeing you are in TO all-weather tires ( with the snow flake)will probably suffice if you do not venture to fat out of the GTA. Check with 1010tire or other co for fitting choices. It will pay off to have both summer and winter wheels . Being all weather your tires can run in either spring or fall a little longer so as to save the expensive 21" tires.....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just go for winter tires! Ist not only because of ice and snow, low temperature is also an issue. If you Change tires from summer to winter and back ist not an $$ Theme as they will last longer and you will avoid Panel Damage.
Greetings from Switzerland

·
Registered
120 Posts
You can have the best car in the world, but the tires are the only thing connecting it to the ground. I live in Chicago and I consider winter tires a mandatory purchase. I can get 4 winters out of one set usually. Even on days where there isn't snow or ice on the road, your all seasons will become rock hard and will not work as well.
Don't forget, 4wd only helps when you're accelerating. Turning and stopping is where tires test the limits of grip.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I also live in Toronto, on my second RRS, first was a 2010, now have a 2016. The 2010 had 20" rims, the 2016 22". Tried the 2010 for the first winter with the all seasons, in my opinion it was a death trap. Night and day difference with winter tires. The RRS might be able to get you going with all season tires but stopping is another matter. Buy a second set of rims and winter tires. Lots of good places tire shops around, I've had good luck with Z Racing.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Safety first!

Winter tires are 20-150% shorter to standstill in cold or snowy/ice conditions.

No question of price, just a investment about safety for you and other’s.

By the way, with modern winter tires the wider ones are better in snow (in the past it was the opposite) than smaller ones, more lamellar, more grip.

Best
René

·
Premium Member
1,188 Posts
The modern Rovers have too wide of a tyre to be good in snow with just an all season.

I lost one of my RRS’ into a tree at 30mph because I couldn’t turn. People were flying past me at 40-45 after the crash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
16 Posts
I put 20” Nokians on mine and it was fantastic. Snows are a must and the Nokians held up very well for the two seasons they were on. Truck went everywhere. Lease ended and I did post them in for sale section a month ago. I will repost there. Located in Westchester NY.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I agree with the comments above about the unfortunate behavior of the OE all-season tires in cold temperatures, and I therefore want to install downsized wheels and tires on our 2018 Dynamic Supercharged from 21" to 20" wheels with Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 SUV winter tires. Can anybody confirm that the appropriate 20" wheel would be a 8.5J x 20 with 47mm offset and 5x120 lug pattern, and which should clear the brake calipers? If this is the correct specification, is there a particular wheel brand/model that someone can recommend as a good winter wheel in this size? I see used Land Rover wheels on eBay and new custom wheels on a host of online sites, so the benefit of specific actual experience with a particular wheel will be appreciated. The tire spec that I will be looking at is 255/55ZR20. These seem to be half the price (~$241) of the same Nokian R3 tire in the larger 275/45ZR21 size (`$481).

·
Registered
16 Posts
I agree with the comments above about the unfortunate behavior of the OE all-season tires in cold temperatures, and I therefore want to install downsized wheels and tires on our 2018 Dynamic Supercharged from 21" to 20" wheels with Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 SUV winter tires. Can anybody confirm that the appropriate 20" wheel would be a 8.5J x 20 with 47mm offset and 5x120 lug pattern, and which should clear the brake calipers? If this is the correct specification, is there a particular wheel brand/model that someone can recommend as a good winter wheel in this size? I see used Land Rover wheels on eBay and new custom wheels on a host of online sites, so the benefit of specific actual experience with a particular wheel will be appreciated. The tire spec that I will be looking at is 255/55ZR20. These seem to be half the price (~$241) of the same Nokian R3 tire in the larger 275/45ZR21 size (`$481).
Check the outer diameter against stock- the snows I purchased had the same OD but were a little wider- Speedo was accurate and all systems unaffected , ie ABS. I just put a new set of Nokians on my AMG for the winter as well. You will love them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 30 of 30 Posts